Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handbrake 0.9.9 Supports OpenCL Offloading

Phoronix: Handbrake 0.9.9 Supports OpenCL Offloading

The Handbrake open-source video transcoder program now supports using OpenCL for accelerating certain operations along with introducing other new features to its brand new 0.9.9 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Looks like the OpenCL part is windows only for now.

Comment

Very good news. It's always nice to see OpenCL being used on Linux. Hopefully Blender Cycles will support it soon too.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
        Very good news. It's always nice to see OpenCL being used on Linux. Hopefully Blender Cycles will support it soon too.
        Hmm I'm not seeing opencl support for linux anywhere at the handbrake website. When you go to the OpenCL beta download page all of the binaries are windows only. I dont think linux is getting the opencl part at this time. So this article is kind of misleading.

Comment

Originally posted by philip550c View Post
          Hmm I'm not seeing opencl support for linux anywhere at the handbrake website. When you go to the OpenCL beta download page all of the binaries are windows only. I dont think linux is getting the opencl part at this time. So this article is kind of misleading.
          People are not reading the announcement very carefully.
          1. HandBrake OpenCL is Beta
          2. It's not in the 0.9.9 release

As a rule, HandBrake doesn't release major features till they work on *all* platforms we claim to support (windows, osx, linux). So when it's ready, it should be working on all. Intel QuickSync is also in the pipeline.

Here's the actual announcements if you care to get it from the source http://handbrake.fr/news.php

Comment

It would be nice to see some benchmarks. It seems that the supported operations are cropping and scaling.

Given that the PCI transfer is extremely expensive, and scaling and cropping rather cheap operations, I'm surprised that this is worthwhile.

On the other hand, it's probably just a first step, with more complex operations planned in the future.

Comment

when is the 1.0 coming out?

Comment

Thank you AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                  It would be nice to see some benchmarks. It seems that the supported operations are cropping and scaling.

Given that the PCI transfer is extremely expensive, and scaling and cropping rather cheap operations, I'm surprised that this is worthwhile.

On the other hand, it's probably just a first step, with more complex operations planned in the future.
                  You have to transfer the video to the graphics card anyway because of the connection to the display.

The most optimal way would be to load the video into the graphics card memory and decode, composite and post-process on the graphics card. The graphics card is much better suited for graphics calculations and it frees the CPU for other tasks.

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
                    You have to transfer the video to the graphics card anyway because of the connection to the display.
                    But surely handbrake doesn't need to do this often, as it's a transcoding program, not a video player.

Comment

Working...
                    X