Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jolla Announces Their First Phone

Phoronix: Jolla Announces Their First Phone

The ex-Nokia developers that formed Jolla to work on Sailfish OS to work on a new range of Linux-based smartphones to start where MeeGo left off, have announced their first smartphone...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The price tag isn't bad IMO.

I am not a huge fan of the design TBH. Seems rough in a way. And i'd prefer smaller bezel on the top and bottom of the screen.

BTW anyone knows the dimensions of it?

Comment

399? isn't that much and it's not a phone for spec hunters.
      I will pre-order the device since it's mobile Linux done right.
      Live stream of the presentation, monday 16:30 (GMT) at http://jolla.streamforce1.tv

What specifications is out dated?
      Dual-core instead of quadro or octa core, it's a phone and with the right software it won't need octa-core but lets wait for the presentation since we don't even know what dual-core cpu it has.
      8MP camera is enough for most people in a phone but no mater what we always won't better camera even some Nokia 808 users wants better camera.
      4.5-inch display sound pretty normal and it has microSD.
      I wouldn't say the hardware is outdated but it's definitely not the best on the market.

Comment

Open and unlocked?

Will it be open and unlocked, so that end-users can flash firmware with new ROM such as Android or any of its derivatives such as CyanogenMod?

Comment

Don't forget it's a mobile phone not a super computer!

I'm wondering what some people do with their mobile phone... I mean you are not supposed to run quantum mechanics simulation on that thing!

Back at the time when Apple introduced the original iPhone many people were also complaining about the "out-dated" specs, in particular Nokia was making fun of them for missing this and that feature... Apple proved quite some people wrong in the following years! The combination of well designed UI and software with appropriate hardware is the key! A mobile phone should work just fine in every day live not crack the next Top500.org list...

Just my 2 cents,
          Armin

P.S.: I had the original iPhone, now using a Nokia N9 (best phone I ever had!)

Comment

What an extremely uninformative website.

Comment

Originally posted by Armin View Post
              Don't forget it's a mobile phone not a super computer!

I'm wondering what some people do with their mobile phone... I mean you are not supposed to run quantum mechanics simulation on that thing!

Back at the time when Apple introduced the original iPhone many people were also complaining about the "out-dated" specs, in particular Nokia was making fun of them for missing this and that feature... Apple proved quite some people wrong in the following years! The combination of well designed UI and software with appropriate hardware is the key! A mobile phone should work just fine in every day live not crack the next Top500.org list...

Just my 2 cents,
              Armin

P.S.: I had the original iPhone, now using a Nokia N9 (best phone I ever had!)
              well at least not yet. Not till we get ubuntu-phone in convergence mode to replace our desktops

Originally posted by Honton View Post
              Well the extra value could be open source and open community. Jollas definition of community is: Write apps for us and promote us. No hardware specs can save this ship but it might have helped. Sorry. 400€/500$ for a closed source and out-dated phone with less OEM apeal than Windows phones? No thanks.
              hmm wasnt jolla suppose to be open source or something like that ?

I mean Marc is a cool guy so I thought he was making a deserving product.
              Last edited by madjr; 20 May 2013, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post
                well at least not yet. Not till we get ubuntu-phone in convergence mode to replace our desktops
                LOL ubuntu and super computers? I haven't seen Ubuntu anywhere near a super-computer... and they still have a long way to go to get there!

Comment

Originally posted by Honton View Post
                  Well the extra value could be open source and open community. Jollas definition of community is: Write apps for us and promote us. No hardware specs can save this ship but it might have helped. Sorry. 400?/500$ for a closed source and out-dated phone with less OEM apeal than Windows phones? No thanks.
                  as we all know, even if the temptation sometimes is lurking bellow the surface, we know, it is only ONE right way. We who follow the way. In eternity. We shall walk in the path of HIM. In ETERNITY!!!

Comment

I'll wait and see what happens. It might be promising but I saw Openmoko fail already.
                    Maybe it is my restrictive browser setting but the website says nothing, 0, /dev/null at all. Okay, they like orange & black.
                    Tech specs please, what GPU is on there? If it is Imgtec forget it. If the hardware runs with free drivers... wow, I'd feel intrigued to have a closer look. Maybe that would be the phone I have waited for. Battery lifetime is far more important than raw processing power for me. Even though one might feel tempted to try Gentoo on it.
                    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Working...
                    X