Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 57

Thread: Jolla Announces Their First Phone

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,411

    Default Jolla Announces Their First Phone

    Phoronix: Jolla Announces Their First Phone

    The ex-Nokia developers that formed Jolla to work on Sailfish OS to work on a new range of Linux-based smartphones to start where MeeGo left off, have announced their first smartphone...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM3NTY

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,738

    Default

    The price tag isn't bad IMO.

    I am not a huge fan of the design TBH. Seems rough in a way. And i'd prefer smaller bezel on the top and bottom of the screen.

    BTW anyone knows the dimensions of it?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    105

    Default

    399 isn't that much and it's not a phone for spec hunters.
    I will pre-order the device since it's mobile Linux done right.
    Live stream of the presentation, monday 16:30 (GMT) at http://jolla.streamforce1.tv
    https://twitter.com/JollaHQ/statuses/335434675168358400

    What specifications is out dated?
    Dual-core instead of quadro or octa core, it's a phone and with the right software it won't need octa-core but lets wait for the presentation since we don't even know what dual-core cpu it has.
    8MP camera is enough for most people in a phone but no mater what we always won't better camera even some Nokia 808 users wants better camera.
    4.5-inch display sound pretty normal and it has microSD.
    I wouldn't say the hardware is outdated but it's definitely not the best on the market.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,158

    Default Open and unlocked?

    Will it be open and unlocked, so that end-users can flash firmware with new ROM such as Android or any of its derivatives such as CyanogenMod?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Don't forget it's a mobile phone not a super computer!

    I'm wondering what some people do with their mobile phone... I mean you are not supposed to run quantum mechanics simulation on that thing!

    Back at the time when Apple introduced the original iPhone many people were also complaining about the "out-dated" specs, in particular Nokia was making fun of them for missing this and that feature... Apple proved quite some people wrong in the following years! The combination of well designed UI and software with appropriate hardware is the key! A mobile phone should work just fine in every day live not crack the next Top500.org list...

    Just my 2 cents,
    Armin

    P.S.: I had the original iPhone, now using a Nokia N9 (best phone I ever had!)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    9

    Default

    What an extremely uninformative website.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    429

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Armin View Post
    Don't forget it's a mobile phone not a super computer!

    I'm wondering what some people do with their mobile phone... I mean you are not supposed to run quantum mechanics simulation on that thing!

    Back at the time when Apple introduced the original iPhone many people were also complaining about the "out-dated" specs, in particular Nokia was making fun of them for missing this and that feature... Apple proved quite some people wrong in the following years! The combination of well designed UI and software with appropriate hardware is the key! A mobile phone should work just fine in every day live not crack the next Top500.org list...

    Just my 2 cents,
    Armin

    P.S.: I had the original iPhone, now using a Nokia N9 (best phone I ever had!)
    well at least not yet. Not till we get ubuntu-phone in convergence mode to replace our desktops


    Quote Originally Posted by Honton View Post
    Well the extra value could be open source and open community. Jollas definition of community is: Write apps for us and promote us. No hardware specs can save this ship but it might have helped. Sorry. 400€/500$ for a closed source and out-dated phone with less OEM apeal than Windows phones? No thanks.
    hmm wasnt jolla suppose to be open source or something like that ?

    I mean Marc is a cool guy so I thought he was making a deserving product.
    Last edited by madjr; 05-20-2013 at 10:35 AM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by madjr View Post
    well at least not yet. Not till we get ubuntu-phone in convergence mode to replace our desktops
    LOL ubuntu and super computers? I haven't seen Ubuntu anywhere near a super-computer... and they still have a long way to go to get there!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    373

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Honton View Post
    Well the extra value could be open source and open community. Jollas definition of community is: Write apps for us and promote us. No hardware specs can save this ship but it might have helped. Sorry. 400/500$ for a closed source and out-dated phone with less OEM apeal than Windows phones? No thanks.
    as we all know, even if the temptation sometimes is lurking bellow the surface, we know, it is only ONE right way. We who follow the way. In eternity. We shall walk in the path of HIM. In ETERNITY!!!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    in front of my box :p
    Posts
    824

    Default

    I'll wait and see what happens. It might be promising but I saw Openmoko fail already.
    Maybe it is my restrictive browser setting but the website says nothing, 0, /dev/null at all. Okay, they like orange & black.
    Tech specs please, what GPU is on there? If it is Imgtec forget it. If the hardware runs with free drivers... wow, I'd feel intrigued to have a closer look. Maybe that would be the phone I have waited for. Battery lifetime is far more important than raw processing power for me. Even though one might feel tempted to try Gentoo on it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •