Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD Still Working On Next-Gen Package Manager

Phoronix: FreeBSD Still Working On Next-Gen Package Manager

The FreeBSD camp continues to develop pkgng, a next-generation binary package manager for the operating system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I tried it with PC BSD a while ago. Reminds me a bit of pacman, but it's not very good to be honest. Quite slow too.

Comment

One could always use PC-BSD's repos while the FreeBSD rebuild is going on, instructions can be found in the "Switching to PC-BSD" section @ http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/Turn...D_into_PC-BSD?

If you have a quick machine, pkgng with poudriere is probably the best setup.

Comment

If the BSDs get a decent binary package manager, I might switch to them from Arch.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
          I tried it with PC BSD a while ago. Reminds me a bit of pacman, but it's not very good to be honest. Quite slow too.
          Not only that, but it's a ripoff and a violation of the GPL.

http://aboutthebsds.wordpress.com/20...bians-apt-get/

And it creates more problems then solutions. Package conflicts, views installed ports with custom compile options with outdated and tries to install standard ones and produces conflicts as it does.

It's just an example of how little the devs at the BSD projects care about their uses.

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
          Reminds me a bit of pacman
          Which shows just how incapable BSD fucks are at coming up with original works which let them being sued by AT&T.

Comment

Originally posted by a2r-l View Post
            If the BSDs get a decent binary package manager, I might switch to them from Arch.
            But pkgng is not a decent package manager, it's shit and cause more work. You'll be far better of staying with ArchLinux.

Comment

Originally posted by i386reaper View Post
              Not only that, but it's a ripoff and a violation of the GPL.

And it creates more problems then solutions. Package conflicts, views installed ports with custom compile options with outdated and tries to install standard ones and produces conflicts as it does.

It's just an example of how little the devs at the BSD projects care about their uses.

Which shows just how incapable BSD fucks are at coming up with original works which let them being sued by AT&T.
              Watch it Reaper, keep a civil tongue in that mouth or the mods will step in. They've been putting up with the hatecomments less and less lately.
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by rpmcmurphy View Post
                One could always use PC-BSD's repos while the FreeBSD rebuild is going on, instructions can be found in the "Switching to PC-BSD" section @ http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/Turn...D_into_PC-BSD?
                That site talks nothing but shit that comes out of Kris Moore's mouth/ass. No sane person would ever take the time reading it.

If you have a quick machine, pkgng with poudriere is probably the best setup.
                yeah, classic BSD apologist response to having no binary repository:

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                  Watch it Reaper, keep a civil tongue in that mouth or the mods will step in. They've been putting up with the hatecomments less and less lately.
                  These are not hate comments, they are facts and in phoronix forums, facts are respected unlike some other forums *cough*BSD forums*cough*.

Comment

Banned as LinuxAnalsBSD, BSDSucksDick, systemdrulez, OpenSLOWlaris and more I have forgotten, now back as i386reaper with the same moronic lies, linking to his own blog full of lies and accusations, guilty of accusing the OpenBSD developers to be the Boston Bombers and recently even accusing them to being part in the 9/11 attacks.

And still allowed to spread his hate here. Michael, can we get rid of this one already? The mods already know that this is one guy with many accounts, why are they not allowed to ban them all?

Comment

Working...
                    X