Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logitech Begins Supporting Linux Users

Phoronix: Logitech Begins Supporting Linux Users

While Linux game developers and publishers have grown more interested in the Linux market-share over the past year following Valve's major Linux play, one of the sectors that is still lagging behind is gaming hardware and peripherals. Fortunately, Logitech is finally beginning to show their Linux cards...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I noticed the other day that there was a Tux-logo on the side of the Logitech B110 box. Granted that is the most generic mouse and just uses the generic driver, but still In the specs that they send to the stores they also do include Linux 2.6 support for a few different mice and keyboards.

Comment

Doesn't change the fact that they still sell overpriced hardware that doesn't last.

Comment

If they were smart they'd just mainline a driver and be done with it, let the community take care of API breaks and general maintenance while they work on features and product-cover
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          Doesn't change the fact that they still sell overpriced hardware that doesn't last.
          I haven't had a single Logitech mouse or keyboard die on me. Even have an old square logitech serial 3 button mouse that keeps on going.

Comment

I don't see the linux support. They've NO linux software/drivers, and it's no surprise that their basic two or three button mice are compatible with linux. This would be noteworthy if they came out with some software for e.g. their touchpads which lack any decent support on linux.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
              It depends on the product, as always. My G500 and G11 have been fine for 3.5 years already and they do not show any sign of weakness, both work perfectly on Linux (minus the programmable keys on keyboard, which are considered as F-keys... the buttons on the mouse work, that's more important). However, some (wireless) headset I bought from them had a poor (but working) Linux compatibility and broke after a few months of use.

Overpriced? You can find G500s for less than 45 euros today (there was even one at 28 euros on sale, a few weeks ago). No other "gaming" mouse has better quality/price ratio.
              Last edited by Calinou; 19 May 2013, 04:29 AM.

Comment

Logitech is one of the best brands in my opinion. When they first started they had spyware/malware like installation software for win95/98, which tried to take over you computer. Times have changed and their hardware is some of the best design and lifespans between the hardware makers. Their hardware usually works without proprietary drivers.

Microsoft hardware on the other hand seems to have integrated obsolescence built in, as the hardware seems to die after a certain time frame.

Comment

Huh? This is nothing new. The 'Linux compatible' entry exists since a couple of years...

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
                    Microsoft hardware on the other hand seems to have integrated obsolescence built in, as the hardware seems to die after a certain time frame.
                    I'm still using a Microsoft IntelliMouse that I got in late 2002. Eleven years and still working perfectly.

Comment

Working...
                    X