EXA problems on R420

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EXA problems on R420

When I enable EXA in xorg.conf, certain things gets extremely slow - a simple thing like resizing gnome-terminal sized at about 80x25 takes over a second per window update! Let's not talk about rendering a 1000x1000 Firefox window...

At the same time, I can start compiz fine (although it takes quite some time to start), and things like wobbly windows are extremely smooth. Moving a window around in either compiz or Metacity is fast - but resizing, adding lines to the bottom of a gnome-terminal window, opening a window menu item etc. are all very, very slow, with 100 % cpu usage, in both Metacity and compiz.

I've read xorg.conf and radeon manual pages and tried every setting and combination of settings I can think of.

Is it only me that has this problem? What can be wrong?

I'm using the latest xf86-video-ati (checked out a few hours ago), "X Window System Version 1.3.0" (from Xorg.0.log), mesa-6.5.2-r1, xorg-server-1.3.0.0-r1, xorg-x11-7.2, libdrm-2.3.0 (from Gentoo equery).

Originally posted by bitnick View Post
    When I enable EXA in xorg.conf, certain things gets extremely slow - a simple thing like resizing gnome-terminal sized at about 80x25 takes over a second per window update! Let's not talk about rendering a 1000x1000 Firefox window...

At the same time, I can start compiz fine (although it takes quite some time to start), and things like wobbly windows are extremely smooth. Moving a window around in either compiz or Metacity is fast - but resizing, adding lines to the bottom of a gnome-terminal window, opening a window menu item etc. are all very, very slow, with 100 % cpu usage, in both Metacity and compiz.

I've read xorg.conf and radeon manual pages and tried every setting and combination of settings I can think of.

Is it only me that has this problem? What can be wrong?
    EXA doesn't accelerate non-composited desktops well. Things will improve somewhat once support for blending is added to the r3x/r4xx render code.

Comment

Thing is, I have the same problem under compiz (which is a composited desktop, right? ).

Everything that seems to involve drawing to a buffer (as opposed to moving it around or displaying it) is excruciatingly slow. (I mean, come on, almost 5 seconds to resize an empty gnome-terminal window under compiz?? I just timed it! It's considerably faster under Metacity, but still slow.)

If you tell me again this is the state of things I will believe you, though

The parts I believe might be relevant from my xorg.conf:
      Code:
      Section "Module"
      	Load	"dbe"		# Double buffering extension
      	Load	"extmod"	# Misc server extensions
      	SubSection "extmod"
      		Option	    "omit xfree86-dga"
      	EndSubSection
      	Load	"type1"
      	Load	"freetype"
      	Load	"dri"
      	Load	"drm"
      	Load	"glx"
      EndSection

Section "dri"
      	Mode 0666
      EndSection

Section "Extensions"
      	Option		"Composite" "Enable"
      EndSection

Section "Device"
      	Identifier	"X800Pro-DVI"
      	Driver		"radeon"
      	BusID		"PCI:1:0:0"
      	Screen		0
      	Option		"AccelMethod" "EXA"
      	Option		"AGPMode" "4" # Need this with EXA. With "8" the desktop freezes quite often. 
      EndSection

Comment

Originally posted by bitnick View Post
        Thing is, I have the same problem under compiz (which is a composited desktop, right? ).

Everything that seems to involve drawing to a buffer (as opposed to moving it around or displaying it) is excruciatingly slow. (I mean, come on, almost 5 seconds to resize an empty gnome-terminal window under compiz?? I just timed it! It's considerably faster under Metacity, but still slow.)

If you tell me again this is the state of things I will believe you, though
        There's a reason XAA is still the default

Comment

Hehe, ok

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions!

Comment

Setting Option "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy" makes everything run quite smoothly

Comment

Originally posted by Bigon View Post
              Setting Option "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy" makes everything run quite smoothly
              I'm afraid it doesn't, no.

Comment

Things should be improved in ati git. We've implemented support for blending, but now we are working on improving performance. Part of it is related to the driver (glyph performance still sucks), and part of it is due to bottlenecks in the core exa code in the xserver. Grabbing the latest radeon driver and xserver should help.

Comment

Ok, I used mesa, kernel drm and xf86-video-ati from git, but xorg-server-1.3. So that may be it, then.

I don't really have the time to try a new xserver right now, but I am interested in the result if someone else that has experienced the same problem tries it.

Comment

Hmm, there are still basic rendering errors in the git code

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                    Things should be improved in ati git. We've implemented support for blending, but now we are working on improving performance.
                    Specifically:

This bug really worries me, because the program probably isn't that complex, yet the problem's effect is so obvious.

Of course, the problem might be in Mesa rather than the video driver. But then again, it might not.

Comment

Working...
                    X