Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 13.10 Likely Switching To Chromium Browser

Phoronix: Ubuntu 13.10 Likely Switching To Chromium Browser

Yesterday evening I mentioned Ubuntu Linux developers would be discussing replacing Mozilla Firefox with Google Chromium as the default web-browser in Ubuntu 13.10. After the discussion today, it looks like this may very well happen...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I dislike chromium because its smooth scrolling is awful compared to firefox. for some reason chrome's smooth scrolling flag doesn't even seem to work on some webpages, where in firefox I've never seen anything like this happen, every page has the same consistent smooth scrolling. Its 2013, I expect my browser to have reliable smooth scrolling.

Comment

Re

Almost every time I hear about Canonical employees decisions 1 thing comes to mind "Are they idiots? Or just uninformed? Isn't that their job, to get informed of the matters?".
      Ubuntu Touch is using QML 2, QML 2 is using V8 JavaScript Engine used by Google in combination with WebKit, it's not using WebKit itself.
      And if they will get informed better, Qt 5.x(most probably Qt 5.2) will switch from V8 to it's own JavaScript Engine(based on V8) optimized for things that QML 2 needs.
      "Let's switch to Chromium because QML 2 uses V8" - such nonsense. What kind of Idiots work there?

Comment

It sounds fishy to me as well that canonical claims to use Chromium on Ubuntu Touch. I'm sure they use a QtWebKit browser there and QtWebKit neither uses Chromium nor V8.

Maybe they should switch to QupZilla.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
          It sounds fishy to me as well that canonical claims to use Chromium on Ubuntu Touch. I'm sure they use a QtWebKit browser there and QtWebKit neither uses Chromium nor V8.

Maybe they should switch to QupZilla.
          QupZilla? Seriously? I use the thing on an old Athlon XP powered PC running Razor-Qt and am very happy with it there, but that's because it's old hardware that can't really handle modern Firefox or Chromium. I'm a Firefox fan, but I'd still take Chromium over QupZilla on a newer system (aside: I feel the same way about Midori and Epiphany).

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
            I'm sure they use a QtWebKit browser there and QtWebKit neither uses Chromium nor V8.
            Just read it: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubu...it-maintenance

Comment

Well, Chromium has less issues with GTK+ than Firefox at the moment (font and menu rendering isn't mimicked poorly as in XUL). Even still, Chrome probably won't have GTK+ 3 in the cards for a while, whereas Firefox is actively pursuing a port which is showing some promise. One could also use the argument that Firefox's tab look is more reminiscent of Ubuntu's GTK tabs, but that's changing in Firefox soon, as well.

Comment

I can see this happening very, very shortly.

apt-get remove chromium

Packages to be removed:
                chromium
                ubuntu-desktop

Happens with Lubuntu, I sure hope it doesn't with Ubuntu.

Comment

Flash and PDF

It is fairly easy to retrofit Pepper Flash and the Google PDF reader from Chrome to Chromium. Maybe Ubuntu could do a deal with Google and Adobe to allow those to items into the default install and thus keep their flash up to date instead of forever frozen at 11.2. On the other hand they could just install Chrome.

Comment

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
                    I can see this happening very, very shortly.

apt-get remove chromium

Packages to be removed:
                    chromium
                    ubuntu-desktop

Happens with Lubuntu, I sure hope it doesn't with Ubuntu.
                    That will definitely happen. What problem do you have with it though? The ubuntu-desktop is just a metapackage that pulls in the default packages that Ubuntu ships with. In fact, if you remove it right now, upgrading to 13.10 won't install Chromium automatically.

Comment

Working...
                    X