Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE's Krita Ported To OpenGL 3.1, OpenGL ES 2.0

Phoronix: KDE's Krita Ported To OpenGL 3.1, OpenGL ES 2.0

KDE's Krita painting application back in the day was one of the first to support an OpenGL-accelerated canvas. After their GL support fell behind, it's now been brought up to speed by porting their graphics rendering code-paths to supporting an OpenGL 3.1 Core Profile and OpenGL ES 2.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i bet if the title says mir, there would 70 pages of ubutrolls here but since is good news they are all missing jajajaja

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
      i bet if the title says mir, there would 70 pages of ubutrolls here but since is good news they are all missing jajajaja
      You're the first troll so far, stop hijacking this article.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
        You're the first troll so far, stop hijacking this article.
        We can rant over how they don't support our very important hardware from the last millennia when they goes opengl 3 instead!

Krita is great but it's easier to troll the canonical threads than comment this. Krita don't provoke many people which don't give any funny discussions at phoronix
        Last edited by Akka; 16 May 2013, 02:15 PM.

Comment

EPIC

Krita is awesome? I really love how fats and responsible it is. Also, it supports more than 8bits and CMYK. It's too bad that the devs abandoned the idea of competing with GIMP

Comment

Originally posted by Redi44 View Post
            It's too bad that the devs abandoned the idea of competing with GIMP
            No it's not, it's great that they didn't try to make a me-too dick-measuring clone of GIMP and instead opted to fulfill a niche that no other open-source graphics software fills (well, Mypaint tries, but falls short from Krita's functionality, and is more geared towards sketching anyway). Thanks to not trying to do everything their neighbour does "but better", but instead going their own way and focusing on being a really good digital drawing/painting/illustration software, Krita has become so good at digital drawing/painting that there is no match for it even in proprietary software. Krita already does what it does best, so there'd be no point in competing with GIMP - that'd be like the world's best tennis player suddenly deciding to start competing in the professional bowling league...

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
              No it's not, it's great that they didn't try to make a me-too dick-measuring clone of GIMP and instead opted to fulfill a niche that no other open-source graphics software fills (well, Mypaint tries, but falls short from Krita's functionality, and is more geared towards sketching anyway). Thanks to not trying to do everything their neighbour does "but better", but instead going their own way and focusing on being a really good digital drawing/painting/illustration software, Krita has become so good at digital drawing/painting that there is no match for it even in proprietary software. Krita already does what it does best, so there'd be no point in competing with GIMP - that'd be like the world's best tennis player suddenly deciding to start competing in the professional bowling league...
              I understand that. It's just that I dislike the idea of rejecting everything not geared towards painting....

Comment

Krita is an interesting piece of software; I've barely used it but from what I've seen, it's universally admired, even by people who primarily use proprietery software in their life.

Comment

What part of the actual codebase besides being compliant with the compositer does Krita actually use OpenGL 3.1 within the canvas of the application?

Comment

I really want to love this program and use it more, but the graphics tablet support is still almost nonexistant which is totally unforgivable for an application claiming to have painting and illustration as its focus. There is no way I am going to waste money on a Wacom just to use this program when I have a great Monoprice tablet that cost a fraction of the price and has specs on par with an Intuos 3 medium tablet.

For now I use MyPaint for most stuff and do color corrections and other touch-ups with GIMP as needed.

Comment

Working...
                    X