Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Mint 15 "Olivia" Approaches With New Tools

Phoronix: Linux Mint 15 "Olivia" Approaches With New Tools

The first release candidate of the Ubuntu-based Linux Mint 15 distribution is now available. Linux Mint 15 incorporates the latest MATE and Cinnamon desktop improvements along with offering their Linux desktop users some new tools...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm still very unimpressed with cinnamon. It seems very sluggish on decent hardware compared to gnome 3.6 or gnome 3.8, although its memory usage is significantly better for some reason.

It still has some very basic polish issues that should have been addressed long ago, such as the window list applet going offscreen with long window titles or too many windows. I still don't like the cinnamon menu at all (but at least they've made it less sluggish to open), it just seems like the most mediocre "start menu" implementation i've ever seen.

They have done a very good job with the nemo file manager though, the UI is very nice and they've restored a lot of removed nautilus features. The new software sources tool is also very nice.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
      I'm still very unimpressed with cinnamon. It seems very sluggish on decent hardware compared to gnome 3.6 or gnome 3.8, although its memory usage is significantly better for some reason.

It still has some very basic polish issues that should have been addressed long ago, such as the window list applet going offscreen with long window titles or too many windows. I still don't like the cinnamon menu at all (but at least they've made it less sluggish to open), it just seems like the most mediocre "start menu" implementation i've ever seen.

They have done a very good job with the nemo file manager though, the UI is very nice and they've restored a lot of removed nautilus features. The new software sources tool is also very nice.
      The start menu is a little sluggish but other than that cinnamon is the only DE that I like. If it weren't for cinnamon I probably would switch to OSX. So it seems that DEs are just a matter of personal preference.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
        It still has some very basic polish issues that should have been addressed long ago, such as the window list applet going offscreen with long window titles or too many windows.
        This was already fixed in Cinnamon 1.6. If you're running the LTS version, just backport Cinnamon and it'll fix that issue.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
          This was already fixed in Cinnamon 1.6. If you're running the LTS version, just backport Cinnamon and it'll fix that issue.
          Then why isn't it fixed in the new 1.8? Seems pretty silly to fix it in 1.6 but not 1.8...

I saw this when trying mint 15 release candidate on live USB, which is cinnamon 1.8.

Comment

Hmm to wait for the xfce edition or just download the cinnamon version and switch the two around. Decisions are hard at times.

Comment

Working...
            X