Ubuntu To Look At Replacing Firefox With Chromium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fenrin View Post
    Chrome is acting as keylogger. I have no idea if this feature is also implemented in Chromium though.
    The source is out there, go look it up yourself. It's that simple.

Comment

I use flash for noncommercial video, don't need their attempts to obstruct downloads

Originally posted by leamas View Post

I don't understand those not encountering flash content out there. Are everyone using just Netflix and Youtube? It seems that the only solutions approved the the copyright owners are Flash and Silverlight. HTML5 still has a long way to go for those concerned about pirating their films.
      Not everyone cares about commercial content. I don't install Moonlight as I don't know if the Microsoft TOS apply to its use, and I disable DRM support in flash by not installing Hal. Youtube I distrust, and Netflix is pay and thus as far as I am concerned does not exist.

Since I produce video news, I do use Flash a lot. I mostly use Liveleak, whose TOS explicitly say that you authorize others to "use" user-uploaded content or prepare derivative works. This is NOT a site a record company would post a music video to and expect it not to be downloaded!

I would be perfectly happy to see copyrighted DRM'ed content disappear entirely from the web, I want nothing to do with it. Killing Flash would help a lot with this, by making it harder to hide the source URL of a video file. Of course, we will still have to encourage people not to install DRM-supporting plugins being developed for HTML5, or to firewall out all the license servers if removing those plugins makes the browser fingerprintable.

If Hollywood is so uptight about copying, they should go back to film and vinyl and leave the digital world alone!
      Last edited by Luke; 16 May 2013, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by locovaca View Post
        The source is out there, go look it up yourself. It's that simple.
        If I was interested in this issue, I could take a look into the source code. But I am not a Chromium user anyways

Comment

Originally posted by Fenrin View Post
          Chrome is acting as keylogger. I have no idea if this feature is also implemented in Chromium though.

Google Chrome a Keylogger ? Privacy Concerns
          You do realize that post was from 2008, right?
          Also, it referred to the OMNIBOX. The Omnibox sends your search suggestions to Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc. depending on who you choose as your primary search engine. It's the same in Firefox's search bar, in Opera's, in Safari's, and in IE's. If you're so scared, turn off search suggestions in the omnibar/search bars.

Comment

Originally posted by tancrackers View Post
            You do realize that post was from 2008, right?[...]
            Yes, and?

Also, it referred to the OMNIBOX. The Omnibox sends your search suggestions to Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc. depending on who you choose as your primary search engine. It's the same in Firefox's search bar, in Opera's, in Safari's, and in IE's. If you're so scared, turn off search suggestions in the omnibar/search bars.
            I am not a Chromium user anyways

Comment

The Google apologists here fail to see the two points...

1) It's one unified bar. This means every URL you type, ie things you did not intend to be searches, are also sent.
              2) It's enabled by default, which makes it intentional malware.

The fact it can be disabled is no defense.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post

1) It's one unified bar. This means every URL you type, ie things you did not intend to be searches, are also sent.

+1
                Thats what he said
                It seems google chrome doesn't respect its users as much as firefox does.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post

And Firefox has searches sent by default, as do all of the other major browsers. And boo hoo, it's on "by default." Is it really that hard to disable a simple, built-in option?
                  I'm not a "Google apologist," I'm a logical, not-paranoid person.

Comment

Tinfoil hats... again

Originally posted by Luke View Post
                    Not everyone cares about commercial content. I don't install Moonlight as I don't know if the Microsoft TOS apply to its use, and I disable DRM support in flash by not installing Hal. Youtube I distrust, and Netflix is pay and thus as far as I am concerned does not exist.

Since I produce video news, I do use Flash a lot. I mostly use Liveleak, whose TOS explicitly say that you authorize others to "use" user-uploaded content or prepare derivative works. This is NOT a site a record company would post a music video to and expect it not to be downloaded!

I would be perfectly happy to see copyrighted DRM'ed content disappear entirely from the web, I want nothing to do with it. Killing Flash would help a lot with this, by making it harder to hide the source URL of a video file. Of course, we will still have to encourage people not to install DRM-supporting plugins being developed for HTML5, or to firewall out all the license servers if removing those plugins makes the browser fingerprintable.

If Hollywood is so uptight about copying, they should go back to film and vinyl and leave the digital world alone!
                    I read pharonix for news on exciting upcoming linux development... I read the forums when I want to laugh at the tinfoil hat crowd. Keep posting guys. Seriously, this should be bottled. Conspiracy lurking around every corner, they are reading my keystrokes, company-X (read Canonical most of the time) is out to subvert our goals and make money. Not that this post is the worst offender, by far.

I would say relax, but I don't want to spoil my amusement.

Comment

And Firefox has searches sent by default, as do all of the other major browsers. And boo hoo, it's on "by default." Is it really that hard to disable a simple, built-in option?
                      I'm not a "Google apologist," I'm a logical, not-paranoid person.
                      This is the domain of the tinfoil hat wearing people of the net. In tinfoil hat speak apologist is a mild form of derision. Don't take it personally, paranoia rules the forums.

Comment

Working...
                      X