Features Being Developed For KDE 4.11 Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmalzler View Post
    You usually have your algorithms, which should be independent of the used language/toolkit. If the error is there - boom. Probably the root is in the window managing part (Kephal?). Thats't what I said: The devs were not able to get the root of the issue - if it's not inside the GUI part the rewrite won't help.
    A lot of the algorithms had to change because of the cleaner separation between logic/UI that QML entails.

And I don't think Kephal has been used in a long time.

Comment

KDE is Krap. The whole thing should be frozen, not just features.
      Last edited by Panix; 20 May 2013, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
        KDE is Krap. The whole thing should be frozen, not just features.
        Troll much?
        oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
        oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
        oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
        Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          The full screen fix would certainly be nice and appreciated. I'm not exactly sure what it is supposed to fix but I have come to notice that anything I do in fullscreen seems to have a very inconsistent frame rate. It's always smooth, but I if the camera in a game or movie is moving at a constant speed, it doesn't appear that way on my screen - its hard to describe but it's basically as though the camera speeds up and slows down every other second, subtly though. I only get this problem in KDE, but since I don't game or watch movies often, it hasn't been enough of a nuisance to do anything about it. vsync doesn't fix it.
          I second this.

You tube vids, other flash vids. Steam. all have fullscreen issues.
          Steam in full screen battles with kde over who had control of the screen.

I hate how kde even when I have a program running fullscreen, wants to change,
          when I move my mouse to the screen edge.

I am on openSUSE, only vids on my hard disk are not a problem in full screen.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            The full screen fix would certainly be nice and appreciated. I'm not exactly sure what it is supposed to fix but I have come to notice that anything I do in fullscreen seems to have a very inconsistent frame rate. It's always smooth, but I if the camera in a game or movie is moving at a constant speed, it doesn't appear that way on my screen - its hard to describe but it's basically as though the camera speeds up and slows down every other second, subtly though. I only get this problem in KDE, but since I don't game or watch movies often, it hasn't been enough of a nuisance to do anything about it. vsync doesn't fix it.
            This sounds like a rather weak GPU that can't handle GL compositing and GPU-accelerated video decoding at the same time.
            The feature mentioned is not new. KWin already has an option to disable compositing when applications switch to full screen. This is about a refinement of the existing feature to switch to this mode when running a benchmark ? probably even if the option if off in System Settings.

Originally posted by Gps4l View Post
            I hate how kde even when I have a program running fullscreen, wants to change,
            when I move my mouse to the screen edge.
            Disable hot corners.

Comment

So, are Kwin/Segmentation fault crashes still a feature? How can a DE keep going to a new revision when the krap keeps krashing. KDE = Krap.

Comment

So, are Kwin/Segmentation fault crashes still a feature? How can a DE keep going to a new revision when the krap keeps krashing. KDE = Krap.
                I crash once every few days, if don't reboot at all. unfortunately arch doesn't build with debugging support so my bug reports are basically useless ><

and really? you fix bugs as they are found. if they can't find the bug then they keep looking for it BUT they don't hold entire releases form what is essentially a harmless bug considering you don't lose any work or windows (its not X crashing) and main / plasma is told to automatically restart
                All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

We're currently using KDE 4.9/4.10 on ~10 different machines ranging from low-end laptops to top-of-the-line workstations under Fedora 17 and Fedora 18 - all using nVidia or Intel GPUs.
                  I can't say that I ever seen kwin crash on any of said machines - at least as far as I can remember.

Stupid trolling/rants aside, have you considered the option that your crashes are GPU driver related? Have you reported them? How? Did you take the time to post all the required information or did you simply repeated the same (useless) comments you've made here?

- Gilboa
                  Last edited by gilboa; 26 May 2013, 01:13 PM. Reason: (Very) bad piglish day
                  oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                  oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                  oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                  Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Working...
                  X