Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Features Being Developed For KDE 4.11 Desktop

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,086

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by schmalzler View Post
    You usually have your algorithms, which should be independent of the used language/toolkit. If the error is there - boom. Probably the root is in the window managing part (Kephal?). Thats't what I said: The devs were not able to get the root of the issue - if it's not inside the GUI part the rewrite won't help.
    A lot of the algorithms had to change because of the cleaner separation between logic/UI that QML entails.

    And I don't think Kephal has been used in a long time.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    997

    Default

    KDE is Krap. The whole thing should be frozen, not just features.
    Last edited by Panix; 05-20-2013 at 10:50 AM.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Panix View Post
    KDE is Krap. The whole thing should be frozen, not just features.
    Troll much?

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    The full screen fix would certainly be nice and appreciated. I'm not exactly sure what it is supposed to fix but I have come to notice that anything I do in fullscreen seems to have a very inconsistent frame rate. It's always smooth, but I if the camera in a game or movie is moving at a constant speed, it doesn't appear that way on my screen - its hard to describe but it's basically as though the camera speeds up and slows down every other second, subtly though. I only get this problem in KDE, but since I don't game or watch movies often, it hasn't been enough of a nuisance to do anything about it. vsync doesn't fix it.
    I second this.

    You tube vids, other flash vids. Steam. all have fullscreen issues.
    Steam in full screen battles with kde over who had control of the screen.

    I hate how kde even when I have a program running fullscreen, wants to change,
    when I move my mouse to the screen edge.


    I am on openSUSE, only vids on my hard disk are not a problem in full screen.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,117

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    The full screen fix would certainly be nice and appreciated. I'm not exactly sure what it is supposed to fix but I have come to notice that anything I do in fullscreen seems to have a very inconsistent frame rate. It's always smooth, but I if the camera in a game or movie is moving at a constant speed, it doesn't appear that way on my screen - its hard to describe but it's basically as though the camera speeds up and slows down every other second, subtly though. I only get this problem in KDE, but since I don't game or watch movies often, it hasn't been enough of a nuisance to do anything about it. vsync doesn't fix it.
    This sounds like a rather weak GPU that can't handle GL compositing and GPU-accelerated video decoding at the same time.
    The feature mentioned is not new. KWin already has an option to disable compositing when applications switch to full screen. This is about a refinement of the existing feature to switch to this mode when running a benchmark probably even if the option if off in System Settings.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gps4l View Post
    I hate how kde even when I have a program running fullscreen, wants to change,
    when I move my mouse to the screen edge.
    Disable hot corners.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    997

    Default

    So, are Kwin/Segmentation fault crashes still a feature? How can a DE keep going to a new revision when the krap keeps krashing. KDE = Krap.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts
    1,873

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Panix View Post
    So, are Kwin/Segmentation fault crashes still a feature? How can a DE keep going to a new revision when the krap keeps krashing. KDE = Krap.
    I crash once every few days, if don't reboot at all. unfortunately arch doesn't build with debugging support so my bug reports are basically useless ><

    and really? you fix bugs as they are found. if they can't find the bug then they keep looking for it BUT they don't hold entire releases form what is essentially a harmless bug considering you don't lose any work or windows (its not X crashing) and main / plasma is told to automatically restart

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Panix View Post
    So, are Kwin/Segmentation fault crashes still a feature? How can a DE keep going to a new revision when the krap keeps krashing. KDE = Krap.
    We're currently using KDE 4.9/4.10 on ~10 different machines ranging from low-end laptops to top-of-the-line workstations under Fedora 17 and Fedora 18 - all using nVidia or Intel GPUs.
    I can't say that I ever seen kwin crash on any of said machines - at least as far as I can remember.

    Stupid trolling/rants aside, have you considered the option that your crashes are GPU driver related? Have you reported them? How? Did you take the time to post all the required information or did you simply repeated the same (useless) comments you've made here?

    - Gilboa
    Last edited by gilboa; 05-26-2013 at 01:13 PM. Reason: (Very) bad piglish day

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •