Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Features Being Developed For KDE 4.11 Desktop

Hybrid View

Default Features Being Developed For KDE 4.11 Desktop

Phoronix: Features Being Developed For KDE 4.11 Desktop

With one week to go until the soft feature freeze for KDE 4.11, there's a better idea for the features that are likely to come to the next major release of the KDE Plasma desktop...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM3Mjg

Of specific note in regards to the QML Work for 4.11

1) The menu should be finally ported to QML.
    2) The Task bar should be finally ported to QML, thereby hopefully fixing the bug that causes entries to overlap or be in the wrong order or be skipping spaces, etc. Was supposed to land in 4.10 but it didn't make it.

KDE 4.11 is set to release in early August assuming no delays.

The full screen fix would certainly be nice and appreciated. I'm not exactly sure what it is supposed to fix but I have come to notice that anything I do in fullscreen seems to have a very inconsistent frame rate. It's always smooth, but I if the camera in a game or movie is moving at a constant speed, it doesn't appear that way on my screen - its hard to describe but it's basically as though the camera speeds up and slows down every other second, subtly though. I only get this problem in KDE, but since I don't game or watch movies often, it hasn't been enough of a nuisance to do anything about it. vsync doesn't fix it.

Default 4.11 was supposed to have a lot of the kwin qt5 work done, wasn't it?

I think they had a goal of being able to compile with Qt5, even though it wouldn't be a supported option. How'd that go?

Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    I think they had a goal of being able to compile with Qt5, even though it wouldn't be a supported option. How'd that go?
    For those curious.... what Smitty is referencing is: http://vizzzion.org/blog/2013/01/the...-and-plasma-2/

I do not however see a status update as to whether or not any of these goals have been met or how close they are to BEING met.

Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    I think all efforts to work on Qt5 are in the frameworks branch, which is completely separate from KDE SC 4.11.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    The full screen fix would certainly be nice and appreciated. I'm not exactly sure what it is supposed to fix but I have come to notice that anything I do in fullscreen seems to have a very inconsistent frame rate. It's always smooth, but I if the camera in a game or movie is moving at a constant speed, it doesn't appear that way on my screen - its hard to describe but it's basically as though the camera speeds up and slows down every other second, subtly though. I only get this problem in KDE, but since I don't game or watch movies often, it hasn't been enough of a nuisance to do anything about it. vsync doesn't fix it.
    I second this.

You tube vids, other flash vids. Steam. all have fullscreen issues.
    Steam in full screen battles with kde over who had control of the screen.

I hate how kde even when I have a program running fullscreen, wants to change,
    when I move my mouse to the screen edge.

I am on openSUSE, only vids on my hard disk are not a problem in full screen.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    This sounds like a rather weak GPU that can't handle GL compositing and GPU-accelerated video decoding at the same time.
    The feature mentioned is not new. KWin already has an option to disable compositing when applications switch to full screen. This is about a refinement of the existing feature to switch to this mode when running a benchmark probably even if the option if off in System Settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Gps4l View Post
    I hate how kde even when I have a program running fullscreen, wants to change,
    when I move my mouse to the screen edge.
    Disable hot corners.

So, are Kwin/Segmentation fault crashes still a feature? How can a DE keep going to a new revision when the krap keeps krashing. KDE = Krap.

Quote Originally Posted by Panix View Post
    So, are Kwin/Segmentation fault crashes still a feature? How can a DE keep going to a new revision when the krap keeps krashing. KDE = Krap.
    I crash once every few days, if don't reboot at all. unfortunately arch doesn't build with debugging support so my bug reports are basically useless ><

and really? you fix bugs as they are found. if they can't find the bug then they keep looking for it BUT they don't hold entire releases form what is essentially a harmless bug considering you don't lose any work or windows (its not X crashing) and main / plasma is told to automatically restart