Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with download-cache on machine with no internet connection

Hello people,

I am I having some issues with using the download-cache on a machine without internet....

What I did was install phoronix v3.6.1 on my Ubuntu 12.04 machine. Then I downloaded some tests, and I filled the download-cache using the "make-download-cache" command. Then I installed phoronix v4.4.1 on a virtual machine with Ubuntu 12.04 I copied the cache over, disconnected it of the internet by taking down the ethernet interface and installed the same tests. It took it from the download-cache directory no problem. So far so good!

Then I installed phoronix v4.4.1 on an OpenSUSE v11.3 machine which has a network connection but no internet. The installation went fine and I repeated the same trick as above. For some reason on this machine it will not look at the download-cache directory. I have checked permissions, I have tried to specify an alternative local cache directory (and of course copied the cache files to it). It will not work. The program itself seems to be working fine.

I wonder if this is because it does not like using cache from other distributions? Probably a different machine architecture?

Thx in advance

(EDIT: removed a typo in a version number)
    Last edited by jaccoruns; 15 May 2013, 10:14 AM.

Originally posted by jaccoruns View Post
    Hello people,

I am I having some issues with using the download-cache on a machine without internet....

What I did was install phoronix v3.6.1 on my Ubuntu 12.04 machine. Then I downloaded some tests, and I filled the download-cache using the "make-download-cache" command. Then I installed phoronix v4.4.1 on a virtual machine with Ubuntu 12.04 I copied the cache over, disconnected it of the internet by taking down the ethernet interface and installed the same tests. It took it from the download-cache directory no problem. So far so good!

Then I installed phoronix v4.4.1 on an OpenSUSE v11.3 machine which has a network connection but no internet. The installation went fine and I repeated the same trick as above. For some reason on this machine it will not look at the download-cache directory. I have checked permissions, I have tried to specify an alternative local cache directory (and of course copied the cache files to it). It will not work. The program itself seems to be working fine.

I wonder if this is because it does not like using cache from other distributions? Probably a different machine architecture?

Thx in advance

(EDIT: removed a typo in a version number)
    The only reason why PTS would ignore a download cache would be corrupted files in there not matching their MD5s so the files are ignored. Machine architecture / distribution is irrelevant in this matter.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

To ensure it is not a cross-distribution issue with the download-cache I have just installed OpenSUSE 11.3 in a virtual machine. Installed my tests, created the download-cache and copied it over to my OpenSUSE 11.3 machine with no internet. It is still not looking at the cache dir...

However I noticed there were a lot of missing dependencies on my internet connected OpenSUSE machine. It seems that it does not warn about missing dependencies when there is not internet connection?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        The only reason why PTS would ignore a download cache would be corrupted files in there not matching their MD5s so the files are ignored. Machine architecture / distribution is irrelevant in this matter.
        Thanks for your reply... As per my latest post I suspect it has to do with missing dependencies. It is definately missing some packages that my internet connected OpenSUSE machine was complaining about... I have to mention that my target machine (the one without internet) is heavilly customized (not by me unfort.).

Will keep u posted

Comment

I have managed to connect the machine with problems to the internet and then it tells me to install missing dependencies.

Without connection:
          Code:
          mach01:/tmp/phoronix/script custom suite/local # phoronix-test-suite install pd-benchmark
          /usr/bin/phoronix-test-suite: line 29: [: too many arguments

To run the Phoronix Test Suite locally you must first change directories to phoronix-test-suite/ 
          or install the program using the install-sh script. For support visit: http://www.phoronix-test-suite.com/
          With connection:
          Code:
          mach01:/tmp # phoronix-test-suite install pd-benchmark

The following dependencies are needed and will be installed: 

- zlib-devel
          - libSDL-devel
          - libSDL_image-devel
          - libSDL_gfx-devel
          - libSDL_net-devel
          - libSDL_ttf-devel

This process may take several minutes.
          Please enter your root password below:
          As you can see it does not tell me about missing packages without internet connection. My next step is to download these packages manually, install them on a machine without internet connection and repeat the exercize.....

Keep u posted.

Comment

1) I have taken a new internet-less (customized) OpenSUSE 11.3 machine.
            2) Installed all RPM packages that the other machine asked for when connnected to the internet. I had manually downloaded each rpm package. I have to mention I had to ignore some warnings of broken dependencies... Doing so all packages installed fine
            3) Installed phoronix,
            4) copied the download-cache
            5) installed my custom benchmark
            6) Again when I try to install a suite or a test it gives me an error message:
            Code:
            # phoronix-test-suite install himeno 

[NOTICE] No Network Connectivity
            [ERROR] Network support is needed to obtain pts/himeno-1.1.0 data.

ERROR: Invalid Argument: himeno
            7) Then I connect it to the internet
            8) Install a suite or a test:
            Code:
            # phoronix-test-suite install himeno

Phoronix Test Suite v4.4.1

Installed: pts/himeno-1.1.0
            9) The problem persists, it is not complaining about missing dependencies so it looks like it was happy with step 2. I suspect something else is going on. It could very well be due to these machines being customized so much.

I don't have time to digg further into this problem. I will continue to connect each machine to the internet to download the required tests so I can run my benchmarks. If I do have more info on this issue I will follow up.

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
            X