Thread: Problems with download-cache on machine with no internet connection

Hybrid View

Default Problems with download-cache on machine with no internet connection

Hello people,

I am I having some issues with using the download-cache on a machine without internet....

What I did was install phoronix v3.6.1 on my Ubuntu 12.04 machine. Then I downloaded some tests, and I filled the download-cache using the "make-download-cache" command. Then I installed phoronix v4.4.1 on a virtual machine with Ubuntu 12.04 I copied the cache over, disconnected it of the internet by taking down the ethernet interface and installed the same tests. It took it from the download-cache directory no problem. So far so good!

Then I installed phoronix v4.4.1 on an OpenSUSE v11.3 machine which has a network connection but no internet. The installation went fine and I repeated the same trick as above. For some reason on this machine it will not look at the download-cache directory. I have checked permissions, I have tried to specify an alternative local cache directory (and of course copied the cache files to it). It will not work. The program itself seems to be working fine.

I wonder if this is because it does not like using cache from other distributions? Probably a different machine architecture?

Thx in advance

(EDIT: removed a typo in a version number)
    Last edited by jaccoruns; 05-15-2013 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jaccoruns View Post
    Hello people,

I am I having some issues with using the download-cache on a machine without internet....

What I did was install phoronix v3.6.1 on my Ubuntu 12.04 machine. Then I downloaded some tests, and I filled the download-cache using the "make-download-cache" command. Then I installed phoronix v4.4.1 on a virtual machine with Ubuntu 12.04 I copied the cache over, disconnected it of the internet by taking down the ethernet interface and installed the same tests. It took it from the download-cache directory no problem. So far so good!

Then I installed phoronix v4.4.1 on an OpenSUSE v11.3 machine which has a network connection but no internet. The installation went fine and I repeated the same trick as above. For some reason on this machine it will not look at the download-cache directory. I have checked permissions, I have tried to specify an alternative local cache directory (and of course copied the cache files to it). It will not work. The program itself seems to be working fine.

I wonder if this is because it does not like using cache from other distributions? Probably a different machine architecture?

Thx in advance

(EDIT: removed a typo in a version number)
    The only reason why PTS would ignore a download cache would be corrupted files in there not matching their MD5s so the files are ignored. Machine architecture / distribution is irrelevant in this matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    The only reason why PTS would ignore a download cache would be corrupted files in there not matching their MD5s so the files are ignored. Machine architecture / distribution is irrelevant in this matter.
    Thanks for your reply... As per my latest post I suspect it has to do with missing dependencies. It is definately missing some packages that my internet connected OpenSUSE machine was complaining about... I have to mention that my target machine (the one without internet) is heavilly customized (not by me unfort.).

Will keep u posted

I have managed to connect the machine with problems to the internet and then it tells me to install missing dependencies.

Without connection:
    Code:
    mach01:/tmp/phoronix/script custom suite/local # phoronix-test-suite install pd-benchmark
    /usr/bin/phoronix-test-suite: line 29: [: too many arguments

To run the Phoronix Test Suite locally you must first change directories to phoronix-test-suite/ 
    or install the program using the install-sh script. For support visit: http://www.phoronix-test-suite.com/
    With connection:
    Code:
    mach01:/tmp # phoronix-test-suite install pd-benchmark

The following dependencies are needed and will be installed: 

- zlib-devel
    - libSDL-devel
    - libSDL_image-devel
    - libSDL_gfx-devel
    - libSDL_net-devel
    - libSDL_ttf-devel

This process may take several minutes.
    Please enter your root password below:
    As you can see it does not tell me about missing packages without internet connection. My next step is to download these packages manually, install them on a machine without internet connection and repeat the exercize.....

Keep u posted.

1) I have taken a new internet-less (customized) OpenSUSE 11.3 machine.
    2) Installed all RPM packages that the other machine asked for when connnected to the internet. I had manually downloaded each rpm package. I have to mention I had to ignore some warnings of broken dependencies... Doing so all packages installed fine
    3) Installed phoronix,
    4) copied the download-cache
    5) installed my custom benchmark
    6) Again when I try to install a suite or a test it gives me an error message:
    Code:
    # phoronix-test-suite install himeno 

[NOTICE] No Network Connectivity
    [ERROR] Network support is needed to obtain pts/himeno-1.1.0 data.

ERROR: Invalid Argument: himeno
    7) Then I connect it to the internet
    8) Install a suite or a test:
    Code:
    # phoronix-test-suite install himeno

Phoronix Test Suite v4.4.1

Installed: pts/himeno-1.1.0
    9) The problem persists, it is not complaining about missing dependencies so it looks like it was happy with step 2. I suspect something else is going on. It could very well be due to these machines being customized so much.

I don't have time to digg further into this problem. I will continue to connect each machine to the internet to download the required tests so I can run my benchmarks. If I do have more info on this issue I will follow up.

Cheers.

To ensure it is not a cross-distribution issue with the download-cache I have just installed OpenSUSE 11.3 in a virtual machine. Installed my tests, created the download-cache and copied it over to my OpenSUSE 11.3 machine with no internet. It is still not looking at the cache dir...

However I noticed there were a lot of missing dependencies on my internet connected OpenSUSE machine. It seems that it does not warn about missing dependencies when there is not internet connection?