Canonical Shows Mir, Unity-Next Running On MacBook Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
    Too bad he doesn't realize that if Ubuntu dies so does commercial software support for Linux. Losing the only successful Desktop Linux distro in history putting comercial hardware and software support back where it was in the early 2000's.
    Small price to pay. Replacements will spring up and hopefully they will be able to work together with the rest of the distributors and vendors. I don't believe that going mainstream at all costs justifies all means necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
      Too configurable. Plus too many colours. Dumb it down some more. Then it will be more in line with the gnome shell philosophy.
      To be fair, while I did like parts of Gnome Shell such as the very precise global search, that was its main problem.
      The problem was that it would lock up as soon as I typed in a letter, only when its opened after which it functions fine, but that delay could last up to five seconds and it wasn't confined to the search bar either, Gnome Shell seemed to freeze completely too.
      At first I did blame a rouge plugin, but after uninstalling all of them and still had the same problem, I'd give it another release before I give it another try.

And if you think Twin is configurable, you should probably try it first, then try saying the same thing. It really isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
        Mir doesn't even have windows yet, everything is full screen.
        You're right in pointing that delay in the development but bear in mind that for small devices with screens ranging from 4 to 11 inches it doesn't make sense to have windowed applications with a visible area smaller than those devices' full screen
        Last edited by meanpt; 15 May 2013, 04:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by r_a_trip View Post
          Small price to pay. Replacements will spring up and hopefully they will be able to work together with the rest of the distributors and vendors. I don't believe that going mainstream at all costs justifies all means necessary.
          Redhat and Centos have a far larger share of commercial packages, Just about anything VFX related. NukeX probably cost more than every commercial package canonical offers, forget about Katana and Arnold there so expensive that if you have to ask about price you simple cant afford them. Then you have Maya, Mudbox, Motionbuilder, SoftImage, Modo, Mari, Hiero, Ocular(Plugin) RealFlow, and a metric fuck ton of other VFX packages for RedHat and Centos. Ubuntu doesn’t even register when it comes to commercial software support. And this is just VFX related stuff we are not even going to go into all the Pro Audio related shit none of us have ever heard of simply do to that stuff costing a small fortune.

Half of you are hitting Google right now. Wondering whats "NukeX"!!!! Well don't bother its a $8,000 compositor that slaps the dogshit out of Adobe AfterEffects and then shits on its head.

Ohhh crap don't forget about DaVinci Resolve now your getting into the $100,000. Granted the program is free but what they don't tell you is about that $100,000 your going to drop on gear to properly use it.
          And the free version is only for Windows and Mac, but you have to run it on linux to even use it lol. Its a paradox.

Spend some time on Mari's forums and you will see the all to common "Windows Performance Problems" post, and then you will see me, having to break the news to them. And then point them to Centos. And the Mari Linux packages.

Its sad but funny at the same time because you get all these windows users sporting there new Windows 7/8 computers wanting to get into VFX talking about all the cash they just spent and research done. And then some vet has to break the bad news and explane that yes you will find a few Windows machines but there not actually used.
          Last edited by zester; 15 May 2013, 05:15 AM.

Comment

I suppose the big question here is how did Canonical get access to a pre-production Macbook?

Apple shouldn't like them that much.

Comment

Cool

[QUOTE=intellivision;331049]Why not have the best of both worlds?

Actually that looks cool to me, is there a distro that features Twin as it's Windows Environment?

Comment

Originally posted by zester View Post
                If ubuntu had plans for world domination then they should have stayed away from the OSS community, because there are no dominant leaders, only those that produce what the vast majority wants.
                You deviate from that and your nothing more than vapor that once was.
                You mean like Google did with Android ??

;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
                  Too bad he doesn't realize that if Ubuntu dies so does commercial software support for Linux. Losing the only successful Desktop Linux distro in history putting comercial hardware and software support back where it was in the early 2000's.
                  SUSE and openSUSE say hi.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
                    Originally posted by intellivision View Post
                    Why not have the best of both worlds?

Actually that looks cool to me, is there a distro that features Twin as it's Windows Environment?
                    Not to my knowledge, I had to compile it in Debian and even then, there was some quirk that filled every make file with fluff that I had to clean out manually.
                    Still, very interesting to try out.
                    There's also the Viper Window Manager which does a similar thing, though sadly development has stopped for that project too.

Comment

I don't know about Wayland, but this is exactly why Canonical needed a new UI/display server for Ubuntu. Because the old one was slow enough on PC's, let alone on mobile devices. It needed a lean interface to work great even on low-end chips. And now this will probably faster even than Windows RT on ARM chips.

Comment

Working...
                      X