Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt 5.1 Beta 1 Released With Many Platform Features

Phoronix: Qt 5.1 Beta 1 Released With Many Platform Features

The first beta release of the Qt 5.1 tool-kit is now available. As the first major update to the Qt5 platform, this release comes with plenty of new features for developers and end-users...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Lots of new features "BUT" still lots of broken stuff that used to work "Wacom Tablet Input Support". 90% of new features and "new" improvements
    are eye-candy related. Everything else from what I can see was already available to Qt4 via an add on.

Qt5 is particularly good when used for OpenGL related applications,

1. 3D Game Development UI
    2. 3D Model Editor
    3. Compositor

But

Qt5 is especially bad on Linux for developing "Desktop Environments" at this point, because alot of the X11 related code used in assisting the development of

1. Window Managers
    2. Taskbar Widgets
    3. Virtual Desktop Widgets
    4. System Tray Widgets
    5. Some Types of XInput Devices (Wacom Tablet Input "Anything related to dynamic painting")

was broken, when they replaced X11 with XCB, there is alot of X11 support library's for Qt4 in regards to development of they above.

My personal opinion of the matter is why even bother with XCB, its never going to be a full replacement for X11 regardless of what benefits it has over X11. There is literally only one Window Manager that I know of that is fully developed in XCB http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awesome_(window_manager). When it comes time to replace X11 then X11 and XCB will be of no concern what so ever other than for legacy applications.

So at this point I have mixed feelings in regards to Qt5.

Comment

Originally posted by zester View Post
      Qt5 is especially bad on Linux for developing "Desktop Environments" at this point, because alot of the X11 related code used in assisting the development of

1. Window Managers
      2. Taskbar Widgets
      3. Virtual Desktop Widgets
      4. System Tray Widgets
      5. Some Types of XInput Devices (Wacom Tablet Input "Anything related to dynamic painting")

was broken, when they replaced X11 with XCB, there is alot of X11 support library's for Qt4 in regards to development of they above.

My personal opinion of the matter is why even bother with XCB, its never going to be a full replacement for X11 regardless of what benefits it has over X11. There is literally only one Window Manager that I know of that is fully developed in XCB http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awesome_(window_manager). When it comes time to replace X11 then X11 and XCB will be of no concern what so ever other than for legacy applications.

So at this point I have mixed feelings in regards to Qt5.
      I think you're confusing "Xlib" with "X11".

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
        I think you're confusing "Xlib" with "X11".
        Whoops my bad, I always do that but your right I meant Xlib.
        Last edited by zester; 15 May 2013, 04:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X