Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sub-Surfaces Support Merged Into Wayland

Phoronix: Sub-Surfaces Support Merged Into Wayland

Support for sub-surfaces has been merged into mainline Wayland after the protocol work and other changes for this exciting new feature has been in development for several months. Sub-surfaces by itself isn't too exciting to end-users but will benefit application developers in enhancing the Wayland-powered Linux desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's great, but it would be good if I could minimize windows too.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      That's great, but it would be good if I could minimize windows too.
      LOL, the first thing that came to my mind.

Comment

It's also the first thing he post when ever there is anything Wayland related.

Comment

can someone tell me a wayland to do list.
          as far as I understand most work to be done is in xwayland, toolkits and the windows managers. the actual wayland protocol doesn't need much more work. am I right?

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
            Here's the one from their git repository.

Comment

Very good feature. Good to see hardware acceleration mentioned.
              Remember software is only as good as the hardware it runs on.

Being able to use hardware instead of software is a big win in performance and speed.
              The more hardware can be effectively used by software the better.
              Last edited by plonoma; 14 May 2013, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
                as far as I understand most work to be done is in xwayland, toolkits and the windows managers. the actual wayland protocol doesn't need much more work. am I right?
                The big things protocol wise are...

1) Minimize support. (One of the E developers said they were gonna work on it, but im not sure if they meant the protocol or just a proof-of-concept implementation for E18)
                2) Maybe (un)fullscreening. E18 can fullscreen wayland clients but not unfullscreen them. Not sure if thats a defiency of E18 (not implemented yet) or if its because the wayland protocol for unfullscreening isnt implemented yet.

For other details, see the link to the git TODO that was posted above, but those are 1 (or 2) big things.
                All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

It might be even more true that hardware is no better then the software running on it.

Comment

sweet for video players!

That could be sweet for video players not using VDPAU! That could save some round trips just to composite the subtitles.

Comment

Working...
                    X