Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mozilla Firefox 21 Hits The Web With New Features

Phoronix: Mozilla Firefox 21 Hits The Web With New Features

While the official release announcement has not yet come down, as usual, the early binaries for the next Firefox release are now available. The Mozilla Firefox 21.0 release that's now available from FTP servers features numerous new features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Please don't link directly to the FTP servers. They are not load balanced or mirrored.

As always, the builds on the server are not final until Mozilla makes the release announcement.

Comment

That's cool, but when they will try to optimize the overall GUI speed? I was a Firefox fan for a couple of years since version 2, but when I installed Chromium I was blown away by its speed so much that when I run FF now, I feel like it was coded in Java's Swing. Even getting a faster computer won't help!

(disclosure: I like Java and I don't think it's slow. I only think that Swing is slow)

Comment

Release notes

Comment

Originally posted by Greijoan View Post
          That's cool, but when they will try to optimize the overall GUI speed? I was a Firefox fan for a couple of years since version 2, but when I installed Chromium I was blown away by its speed so much that when I run FF now, I feel like it was coded in Java's Swing. Even getting a faster computer won't help!

(disclosure: I like Java and I don't think it's slow. I only think that Swing is slow)
          Use preload. Or other service that load FF binaries at startup time or just after. With that for me there is no difference between FF and Chromium (on Ubu), unless there is Flash content on web page (or god forbid flash ads...).

As for the work beeing done on faster start up, on more responsive UI, on better JS perf, on better compositing, better drawing, better ...
          Mozilla have teams that work on all that. Usually you can find all the weekly meetings notes online. Just Google for what is interesting to You. (And do not forget to file bug reports when You think You can reproduce FF slow-downs!).

Comment

Stability

What about some stability Mozilla Foundation ? It's not fun when one is reading/writing something and the whole thing blows.

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
              Use preload. Or other service that load FF binaries at startup time or just after. (...) Mozilla have teams that work on all that. (...)
              I'm using SSD as a system drive, so I'm not really suffering from slow startup times. It's more about the GUI responsiveness, like page scrolling and tab switching. XUL is nowhere near the native toolkit widget performance, so I'm guessing that's the main problem.

Also to be honest I had no idea that there are notes from their meetings that can be accessed online, thanks for that one.

Comment

I never said that Chrome overtook Firefox. I only said that it's faster, which I would like to see in the new version of FF. Also please don't tell me that FF is memory efficient

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                  I still do not understand how chrome has overtaken firefox. I think firefox is a much better browser especially since you can have 20 tabs without the tab getting so small that the text is unreadable. Plus Chrome eats memory like a hog.
                  Chrome is advertised on the startpage of google.com.
                  I think also on YouTube.
                  Shipped as default on Android.

I never said that Chrome overtook Firefox. I only said that it's faster, which I would like to see in the new version of FF. Also please don't tell me that FF is memory efficient
                  Firefox have gotten more memory efficient thanks to the MemShrink project.

Comment

I'm using SSD as a system drive, so I'm not really suffering from slow startup times. It's more about the GUI responsiveness, like page scrolling and tab switching.
                    Yes, this is the real issue. Having the browser become unresponsive for a couple of seconds every now and then and having the loading of a large page in another tab slow down the responsiveness of my current tab is just plain annoying. It also tends to take a very long time for the process to release resources and terminate once you close the browser window (on my work PC it may take a minute or more in the worst cases, but it's usually less). However, Chrome is a terrible browser with terrible plugins whose only saving grace is the fact that its web developer tools are much lighter weight than Firebug, which is a bloated mess but is otherwise much better.

I will use Firefox until I'm in a coffin. Or perhaps Opera.

Comment

Working...
                    X