Linux 3.10 Kernel Yields Biggest Changes In Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dee. View Post
    I have an AMD CPU and it works just fine with Linux.
    I'm talking about their graphics drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucic View Post
      but still you gave no reason for that.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
        but still you gave no reason for that.
        I have AMD Radeon 7870 XT. With the open source drivers, every time I do something with the GPU (except using it for RAM->HDMI passthrough) it halts. Even Xorg can't start if I don't disable hardware acceleration.

Comment

Can't wait to see the benchmarks.

Also, what about those power regressions from older kernel versions? I saw different articles here in the past but I've never heard about these issues again.

Comment

Originally posted by Vax456 View Post
            Michael, can you start linking your sources separately from your own articles at the top or bottom of the page in a wiki-style fasion? The problem I'm having is when I want to read the source news article, I have to hover the mouse over each individual link to find it. The majority of the time, I don't want to read your previous articles, I just want to read the source material.

(of course you want to change the color to black..)

Comment

You didn't specify that, you said "hardware".

YOU SHOULD HAVE SPECIFIED

Comment

One feature is missing. A pop-up that would warn "Stay away from AMD hardware!". That would teach the f%##s.
                then tell me, how do I get nvidia's driver to work with the 3.10.0 rc1 kernel?
                it tosses out an "OHMAGHERD NEW KERNEL VERSION, PANIC!" error and won't continue

Comment

Originally posted by KarateBob View Post
                  then tell me, how do I get nvidia's driver to work with the 3.10.0 rc1 kernel?
                  it tosses out an "OHMAGHERD NEW KERNEL VERSION, PANIC!" error and won't continue
                  So easy, wait for the stable release or use nouveau or nomodesetting, very very easy

Comment

Originally posted by pandev92 View Post
                    So easy, wait for the stable release or use nouveau or nomodesetting, very very easy
                    WHY would i want to do that? My Linux box is my gaming rig.
                    I found one thread about it https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/t...37310/#3737310
                    Last edited by KarateBob; 12 May 2013, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Means

Full DynTicks support
                      Before was dynamic ticks on idle, now its on load too.
                      Does this yield any benefits on asynchronous CPUs?
                      Makes the kernel more asynchronous based than poll-based.
                      Might be good on embedded devices such as smartphones and laptops?

KVM virtualization improvements
                      Hope this makes KVM faster, so it gets quicker to run the Android emulator.

Improved ARM support
                      Makes it more general, and has support for Broadcom BCM used in Raspberry Pi.
                      So you can use a general image and run it on many boards instead of have one image per board.
                      Too bad, not all of the patches for Raspberry Pi have been merged yet.
                      This holds promise for the future of making ARM work more unified.

Better ARM 64-bit support
                      Very important work that will be important in the future, with upcoming ARMv8 64-bit processors.
                      This lays the foundation for it.

Many cryptography optimizations
                      With hardware accelerated SSE, AVX, etc for many algorithms!

BCache SSD/HDD caching framework
                      Boring. For people who run mixed HDD/SSD instead of real pure SSD-only.
                      Might be used on cheap Linux pre-installed computers by OEMs, perhaps?

Various DRM driver changes
                      UVD support for AMD cards which means hardware-accelerated video playback! Finally!
                      Too bad still no re-clocking support on Nvidia cards.

Introduction of the QXL KMS driver
                      Good for graphics under virtualized environments.

Comment

Working...
                      X