Linux 3.10 Kernel Yields Biggest Changes In Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KarateBob View Post
    1) 3.10.0-rc1 is a release candidate, not "unstable" at all. Hell, I've been running release candidate kernels since December on my [b]Primary[b/] Workstation+Gaming rig and haven't had any instability at all.
    2) I don't own any intel cpus, haven't since my atom died, my pentium e4300 was outdated, and my P3-550MHz Katmai was retired.
    3) I like to game. I also own SSDs and other cutting-edge hardware. Why would I want to be stuck in 2012 (or 1979 without a GUI)?

im guessing http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_liip8z3epZ1qc6zo9.jpg
    ridicoulus, if you like games, you won't use the latest kernel, because you doesn't see any increase of perfomance if you use propietary drivers.

Please stop trolling, amd worker

Comment

Originally posted by pandev92 View Post
      ridicoulus, if you like games, you won't use the latest kernel, because you doesn't see any increase of perfomance if you use propietary drivers.

Please stop trolling, amd worker

do you know what f2fs is?

Comment

Well, they might release "stable" kernel or rc-999, but like most features in that kernel are experimental, wtf stability can be in linux in general ???

Comment

Originally posted by startzz View Post
          Well, they might release "stable" kernel or rc-999, but like most features in that kernel are experimental, wtf stability can be in linux in general ???
          New features are often placed in the staging tree of the kernel.

Also, new features are often not compiled in, they are hidden behind experimental flags that have to be specially configured to be enabled for the compiler to compile the kernel with those features.

Comment

first kernel don't receive patches without extensive test, many of those features are in development from long time ago and made it in this release cuz it has enough feedback and test to be accepted as stable enough to go through extensive testing

second kernel dev system have many interlaced development stages and check points and sub system maintainers, so for a patch to be accepted it has to pass cleanly many many eyes before is even considered for merge in mainline

third if you have a patch that looks good to developers but is invasive or HW dependant and cannot get enough testing to be sure is safe and stable is merged in staging until is tested enough to leave it.

all this meaning literate yourself before posting, this is a technical forum not FACEBOOK, if you want information or have questions ask politely!! this is not your MMO forum either.

note: so far for me 3.10-rc1 is rock solid in my 3 PC so far

stability != ABI
            ABI != stability

Comment

Good to finally see good progress on the GPU driver side. Maybe we'll see an OSS driver getting within the performance levels of proprietary driver by the end of the year.

One thing that made me chuckle is the DynTicks support comment. Are they actually planning to improve performance or is just aimed at a different work load than what has been looked at?

Comment

And most of the time so many checks is not enough, there is just too big chance to break your system with those "rc" versions, and sometimes even with stable ...

Comment

And most of the time so many checks is not enough, there is just too big chance to break your system with those "rc" versions, and sometimes even with stable ...
                  For people like you, Ubuntu's shipping Kernel is more than fine

Comment

Nope, especially 3.8, which even didnt boot.

Comment

Working...
                    X