Ubuntu's Mir Moves Ahead With Unity 8 Interface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TAXI View Post
    Valve stated that the SteamBox won't run with Mir, so they won't port Steam to Mir. Actually I think Steam brings more users to Linux than Ubuntu. :P
    Valve will definitly bring Steam for Mir/UnityNext...
    The first Steambox version will be based on Ubuntu 12.04, a newer version will certainly be using Ubuntu 14.04! (or 14.10, depends how stable Mir and Unity Next are running)

Comment

Mir progress

So far Mir and Unity 8 seem to make good progress :

If they can keep up this development speed, we may see a usable Ubuntu-phone by 13.10
      Can?t wait to test it :-) Need to go buy me a Nexus 4 :-)

Whatever the haters may say, I?m confident that Mir and Ubutu-phone will succeed :-)

Comment

Originally posted by bartek View Post
        Whatever the haters may say, I?m confident that Mir and Ubutu-phone will succeed :-)
        Yes, like most religious people, you keep your blind faith even when faced with contradicting evidence.

Originally posted by sacridex View Post
        Valve will definitly bring Steam for Mir/UnityNext...
        Wishing for things really hard will not make them true...

Comment

Yeap, SteamBoxes don't use Unity, thus Mir is completely irrelevant to Valve. All games run under X anyway.

Comment

mir

mir will be success, and steam will be ported to mir/unity8, steambox in future will use mir not x,X is a garbage, and i believe one of reasons to dev mir was valve, nvidia and amd pressures, they want a new deaktop market but not with old X, or a wayland who never ready to use

Comment

Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
              mir will be success, and steam will be ported to mir/unity8, steambox in future will use mir not x,X is a garbage, and i believe one of reasons to dev mir was valve, nvidia and amd pressures, they want a new deaktop market but not with old X, or a wayland who never ready to use
              Yes, maybe they will make it faster, implementing a shitty protocol and will finish close to his friend, X, and then wayland will become popular.

Maybe you don't know, but kwin already runs on wayland and all KDE applications already started the transition. All mainstream toolkit are ready. Qt5 application and GTK3 applications are ALL wayland compatible (if they don't make direct call to X). Android drivers are working...

Mir? Oh well, canonical said they will have it working soon and unity is on development, but no GTK, no Qt, nothing is ready.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                Look, I've had my doubts for the unity interface that I hated for a long time, but now it seems that the puzzle pieces are coming together in a coherent way and I am actually using Unity for 4 days now. I've always thought of Canonical as more of a marketing company but lately they actaully begun to show that they can code. So what makes you think Mir won't be coming together right? Contradicting evidence? It's just mostly haters. They have the manpower to pull off what they say they will do so what's the problem? It seems to me that you Ubuntu haters are just against the idea of popularity. When something gets popular you begin to not like it any more and deride it. Ubuntu is beginning to feel like a real alternative to windows and if they pull off the same unity interface on the mobile as on the desktop they will have achieved more than Microsoft achieved with Windows 8. Right now Unity is better than than dual interface that is Windows 8.
                Sigh... I (and many others) have said countless times, on this very forum, to you and others, EXACTLY what is wrong with Mir... but you keep being wilfully ignorant and chanting your "go go team Canonical!" mantra.

- Mir is unnecessary, it doesn't do anything they couldn't do with Wayland
                - Mir is inferior, Canonical does not have the knowhow to create a display server that would be near the quality of Wayland
                - Mir is controlled by a single entity, Canonical, instead of being developed by an active ecosystem in a distro-agnostic way (unlike Wayland)
                - Mir will not be ready before Wayland
                - Mir does not have the support of any of the toolkits, any other distro, or basically anyone except Canonical (unlike Wayland)

Furthermore: you and your ilk always like to trot out the argument "you're just against it because it's popular". That's a lazy, stupid, intellectually dishonest argument, because just as easily I could claim "you're just for it BECAUSE it's popular". See how the arguments cancel each other?

Also: being better than Windows 8 is not saying much. Just because something is better than an absolute shitbucket, doesn't mean it's still any good. I don't have anything against Unity per se. As a UI paradigm, it's OK. It's good, even. I liked it when I used it in Ubuntu 12.04. Right after then they just went horribly downhill - ads in my launcher? No thanks.

Comment

It's going to arrive in 13.10, right? Even that may be a little rushed for 14.04 LTS.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                    Sigh... I (and many others) have said countless times, on this very forum, to you and others, EXACTLY what is wrong with Mir... but you keep being wilfully ignorant and chanting your "go go team Canonical!" mantra.

- Mir is unnecessary, it doesn't do anything they couldn't do with Wayland
                    - Mir is inferior, Canonical does not have the knowhow to create a display server that would be near the quality of Wayland
                    - Mir is controlled by a single entity, Canonical, instead of being developed by an active ecosystem in a distro-agnostic way (unlike Wayland)
                    - Mir will not be ready before Wayland
                    - Mir does not have the support of any of the toolkits, any other distro, or basically anyone except Canonical (unlike Wayland)

Furthermore: you and your ilk always like to trot out the argument "you're just against it because it's popular". That's a lazy, stupid, intellectually dishonest argument, because just as easily I could claim "you're just for it BECAUSE it's popular". See how the arguments cancel each other?

Also: being better than Windows 8 is not saying much. Just because something is better than an absolute shitbucket, doesn't mean it's still any good. I don't have anything against Unity per se. As a UI paradigm, it's OK. It's good, even. I liked it when I used it in Ubuntu 12.04. Right after then they just went horribly downhill - ads in my launcher? No thanks.
                    THIS ^^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
                      mir will be success
                      Why?
                      and steam will be ported to mir/unity8
                      Why? Why does the SteamBox even need a window manager? Does Steam currently depend on Unity?
                      steambox in future will use mir not x
                      So why are they porting all their games to X then? Would be a waste of time...
                      X is a garbage
                      It's not garbage, it's just bloated like shit cause it has to be downward compatible. But that's why Wayland is created, isn't it?
                      and i believe one of reasons to dev mir was valve, nvidia and amd pressures, they want a new deaktop market but not with old X, or a wayland who never ready to use
                      So why exactly couldn't Canonical, Valve, Nvidia and/or AMD involve into Wayland development to speed it up? Why does Valve help fixing bugs in X drivers and why exactly should Valve, Nvidia or AMD need Mir?

Next time check common sense before start trolling... <.<

Comment

Working...
                      X