Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    You're sure?

Don't be so sure. Couple years ago, members from the Cult of the Dead Cow witnessed before congress that they could take down the Internet in 12 minutes.

You can disrupt the Internet by bringing down the root name servers of the Domain Name System (DNS). That is just a dozen servers.
    You can also disrupt the Internet by sending malicious/fake BGP advertisements, these gets re-propagated and things gets nullrouted.
    Much trouble could also be caused by compromised Certificate Authorities (CA).
    Yeah, and despite all this? The interent still works. It's still functioning today. DNS is not everything, people can (and have) set up their own DNS servers if it comes to that. And internet can also function without DNS, we'd all just have to start memorizing IP's...

edit: or we can all start using namecoin domains...
    Last edited by dee.; 14 May 2013, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
      Do you actually think that if the US shuts down the internet world war 3 would ensue? Nobody will attack america because of that. Or do you mean the keyboard warriors will attack america? I would really like to see some of you internet hotshots see how you do against on m1 abrams. It would be hilarious. You really don't understand the concept of power. The fact that you have internet doesn't really make you powerful. Just gives you the illusion of power. I was just saying that the US could shut down the internet if they wanted to but they have no reason to do that. They can keep it because you people think that since you can slander corporations on the internet something actually changes. Givind the masses the illusion of power is a great way to keep them in line.

Of course you won't answer my post since I may be right in some things.

Power means exclusive access to stuff that others consider higly valuable. Being able to organize protests on the internet is not real power.
      Guys, remind me to never get in arguments with children again...

Sigh, you do know there's a world outside the US? That there are countries with militaries outside the US? Do they teach you anything at school anymore? USA can maybe shut down the net in USA, but how do you suppose they can force every other country in the world to do the same? The rest of the internet functions with or without the USA.

And that's not even considering that the USA has so much infrastructure dependent on the internet that shutting it down would be suicide for them.

Come on, tell me how USA shuts down internet globally. This should be fun.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
        DNS is not everything, people can (and have) set up their own DNS servers if it comes to that. And internet can also function without DNS, we'd all just have to start memorizing IP's...
        How do you plan on setting up a DNS server if the roots go down? And how do you plan on figuring out the IPs for random servers without the roots?

Comment

Guys, remind me to never get in arguments with children again...

Sigh, you do know there's a world outside the US? That there are countries with militaries outside the US? Do they teach you anything at school anymore? USA can maybe shut down the net in USA, but how do you suppose they can force every other country in the world to do the same? The rest of the internet functions with or without the USA.

And that's not even considering that the USA has so much infrastructure dependent on the internet that shutting it down would be suicide for them.

Come on, tell me how USA shuts down internet globally. This should be fun.
          Its possible if they use their world wide military bases and launch a simultaneous attack on the global pipelines under the sea.They could then very easily take out 99.9% of the net
          Last edited by DDF420; 14 May 2013, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Yeah, and despite all this? The interent still works. It's still functioning today. DNS is not everything, people can (and have) set up their own DNS servers if it comes to that. And internet can also function without DNS, we'd all just have to start memorizing IP's...

edit: or we can all start using namecoin domains...
            Yes, the Internet still works today - because nobody is seriously attempting taking it down.
            DNS servers get their data from other DNS servers, so if you bring down the root DNS servers, then after cache expires whole Internet is down.

Yeah, we can use namecoin, but less than 0.1% have ever heard of namecoin, and almost nobody know what it is or how to set it up.

If someone broke the DNS of the Internet, then the Internet would be practically down for 99% users.

Comment

the latest 2 pages, are totally offtopic

Comment

Well we reached the conclusion that Ubuntu will get even better and that it dominates the linux world on the desktop without a question while haters gonna hate so we went on other topics.
                this is the conclusion that you have come, not others

Comment

Originally posted by sturmflut View Post
                  I would try it out myself, but every time I try to build Unity-next something breaks or fails and it doesn't build. So can anybody provide Screenshots?
                  hey strumflut,
                  not sure what's not working....but wanted to encourage you to give it another shot.
                  acutally, to be clear...we're not quite there on a public version of unity8 on Mir....but should be soon.

right now you can build or run prebuilts of mir or unity8 seperately on pc or on android.

assuming you are actually referring to unity8 (fka unitynext) then try the instructions once more...

they did go through a small update recently.
                  hope you find success.

Comment

So lame

It has been pointed out before, Canonical fails because their involvement with upstream sources is negligible, even Microsoft's voice is given more attention in the Linux kernel development. Their immature and often harmful pseudo-innovative projects like Unity and Mir depend on a plethora of more relevant projects (GNU, Linux, Android/CyanogenMod, Debian, GNOME (hence Red Hat to a good extent), still X, Compiz, now Qt, an so on). They can't make anything big on their own! Like a little child, Canonical requires the blessing of all of these step-parents in order to go, and their relationship just gets worse. Ubuntu has always desperately and often Machiavellianly strived to give FOSS a piece of the cake in the big scheme, but with their recent behaviour it becomes clearer they are doing it the wrong, stupid way. Having choice is good, and forking is sometimes the only option though usually undesired (thanks free software for the former and copyleft for promoting upstream cooperation instead of forking), but please, don't feed Ubuntu-Canonical, they are fragmentation trolls.

It doesn't matter whether it's the most popular distro out there (that's also controversial) nor whether it is backed by a billionaire, it still has ways to go from being considered mainstream; and the combined effort of sane GNU/Linux distros, the rest of the FOSS community and involved companies outperforms Canonical's in orders of magnitude. At least all KDE-based and GNOME-based distros will be using Wayland. That's why Wayland will own Mir. Don't you believe me? Go compare the adoption of systemd vs upstart, or Unity vs others.

Ubuntu for phones is the thing that disappoints me the most, it could have been a nice advancement from the good-but-not-perfect Android towards real mobile computing for power users.

Comment

Well we reached the conclusion that Ubuntu will get even better and that it dominates the linux world on the desktop without a question while haters gonna hate so we went on other topics.
                      No, if anyone has gotten anything out of this thread, i would guess that it would probably be that you have no life / are a bit of a loser, with nothing better to do than use your fanboy skills to argue with so-called haters (basically, anyone who doesn't subscribe to your opinions).

advice = get a life.

Originally posted by pandev92 View Post
                      this is the conclusion that you have come, not others
                      +1

Comment

Working...
                      X