Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu's Mir Moves Ahead With Unity 8 Interface

Phoronix: Ubuntu's Mir Moves Ahead With Unity 8 Interface

Canonical's Kevin Gunn has issued a status update on new achievements for the Mir Display Server as well as for the next-generation "Unity 8" user-interface...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Screenshots?

I would try it out myself, but every time I try to build Unity-next something breaks or fails and it doesn't build. So can anybody provide Screenshots?

Comment

Originally posted by sturmflut View Post
      I would try it out myself, but every time I try to build Unity-next something breaks or fails and it doesn't build. So can anybody provide Screenshots?
      Unless you want to see the latest development there are great video on Youtube that walks through the UI https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjzLri2sfaY

Comment

Wayland

I rather see Wayland support.
        They should get Unity-next running on Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          I rather see Wayland support.
          They should get Unity-next running on Wayland.
          It wont happen
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
            It wont happen
            It might... it all depends, how many people leave the Ubuntu boat to use other distros, once they can no longer use Real Linux software on Ubuntu.

Comment

lol

Originally posted by dee. View Post
              It might... it all depends, how many people leave the Ubuntu boat to use other distros, once they can no longer use Real Linux software on Ubuntu.

lollolololol

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                Wrong my friend...Ubuntu has become so big that now you adapt to it not the other way around. Software will run on Ubuntu just because it's so popular or else it won't exist at all. Ubuntu has become the face of linux either you like it or not.
                Software might run on Ubuntu, when they maintain a working Wayland version. I really doubt that KDE, Gnome, XFCE, Enlightenment, ..., adapt to a display server that can break for them anytime because Canonical doesn't care for other DEs and develops Mir with Unity only in mind. Ubuntu will fail, in the same way Windows will fail because of bad decisions, although they are the face of desktop computing and the most popular OS on desktops.
                Wayland is the future, either you like it or not. Anything that can't run on Wayland will cease to exist sooner or later.

Comment

lolol

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                  Software might run on Ubuntu, when they maintain a working Wayland version. I really doubt that KDE, Gnome, XFCE, Enlightenment, ..., adapt to a display server that can break for them anytime because Canonical doesn't care for other DEs and develops Mir with Unity only in mind. Ubuntu will fail, in the same way Windows will fail because of bad decisions, although they are the face of desktop computing and the most popular OS on desktops.
                  Wayland is the future, either you like it or not. Anything that can't run on Wayland will cease to exist sooner or later.

lolololololol

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                    I'm sorry but I have to tell you that you are clearly delusional.

Comment

Working...
                    X