No announcement yet.

Ubuntu's Mir Moves Ahead With Unity 8 Interface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They should get themselves some nice googlenow/siri like voice recognition. Then they can bring it to the desktop and have another way of snooping on people :P

From what I see, Unity on the phone looks like one of those horrible customised ui's which phone manufacturers install on their phones. The ones you switch off almost immediately. Page for your music, page for people, etc. Everything some idiot of canonical decided you should use, laid out for you the way you don't want, instead of letting you just pick your own apps and arrange your screen as you want.

I might be wrong, I've only seen video of it and maybe it has features that let it feel more like a desktop (which you would think would be the point of a ubuntu phone), but from what I've seen I've no interest in this product.

Maybe Ubuntu could get itself installed on a few feature phones.

Comment

Originally posted by Nevertime View Post
      They should get themselves some nice googlenow/siri like voice recognition. Then they can bring it to the desktop and have another way of snooping on people :P

From what I see, Unity on the phone looks like one of those horrible customised ui's which phone manufacturers install on their phones. The ones you switch off almost immediately. Page for your music, page for people, etc. Everything some idiot of canonical decided you should use, laid out for you the way you don't want, instead of letting you just pick your own apps and arrange your screen as you want.

I might be wrong, I've only seen video of it and maybe it has features that let it feel more like a desktop (which you would think would be the point of a ubuntu phone), but from what I've seen I've no interest in this product.

Maybe Ubuntu could get itself installed on a few feature phones.
      old linux user always counter. unity is the most used shell (you can say "no" but is true) on linux distro xorg is to old wayland is dev for 5 years, why should canonical waits?! i can t understand what the problem, maybe i can the afraid of sucess puts down wayland/weston, its the only reason i can imagine, no wait another redhat loses market on servers if ubuntu turns to much popular.

open your minds and stop with this sh*t, linux is fredom, not redhat, ubuntu, archlinux, suse, etcetc if you don t like one choose another, if want another way is your problem, estou mesmo farto destas merdas todas, falam de liberdade mas kerem ter o controlo e tem k ser wayland hipocritas ? o k s?o

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
        Software might run on Ubuntu, when they maintain a working Wayland version. I really doubt that KDE, Gnome, XFCE, Enlightenment, ..., adapt to a display server that can break for them anytime because Canonical doesn't care for other DEs and develops Mir with Unity only in mind. Ubuntu will fail, in the same way Windows will fail because of bad decisions, although they are the face of desktop computing and the most popular OS on desktops.
        Wayland is the future, either you like it or not. Anything that can't run on Wayland will cease to exist sooner or later.
        KDE, Gnome, XFCE, E17 (lol) don't matter anymore. Like it or not, but Canonical holds the leadership of desktop Linux. Others can either jump in or die.

Comment

Originally posted by ворот93 View Post
          KDE, Gnome, XFCE, E17 (lol) don't matter anymore. Like it or not, but Canonical holds the leadership of desktop Linux. Others can either jump in or die.
          Go troll somewhere else, if you want to fanboy then do it on the Ubuntu forums where it belongs.
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
            Go troll somewhere else, if you want to fanboy then do it on the Ubuntu forums where it belongs.
            Obvious butthurt is obvious. Need some vaseline?

Comment

Obvious butthurt is obvious. Need some vaseline?
              Butthurt? Hardly. Just tired of seeing you Ubuntu Fanboys coming in and claiming that all other distros are pointless. Ubuntu's a phase, it won't last. Least under the leadership of Canonical it won't.
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                Butthurt? Hardly. Just tired of seeing you Ubuntu Fanboys coming in and claiming that all other distros are pointless. Ubuntu's a phase, it won't last. Least under the leadership of Canonical it won't.
                Long story short, butthurt.

Ubuntu and Android have achieved market success in under 5 years that others from Linux world have failed to in >20 years. Ubuntu's not a phase, it's the future of Linux on desktop. Deal with it.

Comment

Ubuntu and Android have achieved market success in under 5 years that others from Linux world have failed to in >20 years. Ubuntu's not a phase, it's the future of Linux on desktop. Deal with it.
                  Nice crystal ball, dude. I disagree because Canonical continue to show that they barely know how to code.

Comment

Ubuntu is the future of Ubuntu. It ceased being a Real Linux distro when it moved away from a Real Linux display server.

Comment

Ubuntu's not a phase, it's the future of Linux on desktop. Deal with it.
                      Valve stated that the SteamBox won't run with Mir, so they won't port Steam to Mir. Actually I think Steam brings more users to Linux than Ubuntu. :P

Comment

Working...
                      X