Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Intel Releases Linux Thermal Daemon

Default Intel Releases Linux Thermal Daemon

Phoronix: Intel Releases Linux Thermal Daemon

Intel has announced the release of an open-source Linux Thermal Daemon package for Linux. Intel's Linux Thermal Daemon is for monitoring and controlling platform temperatures...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM2OTk

Just what I was looking for, for my ultrabook with only a single fan and an easily blocked vent haha

That's interesting. Is it like PowerTop in that it's just developed by Intel, but works fine on AMD platforms as well?

Quote Originally Posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    That's interesting. Is it like PowerTop in that it's just developed by Intel, but works fine on AMD platforms as well?
    It says it will use the Intel specific drivers when available, when it can't use those then it will use the standarized x86 registers and the generic cpufreq infrastructure. Last line of the quoted text in the article.

The specific driver you mention is already there in 3.9

Michael, i crave a bench against usal ondemand and performance governors
    pretty please?

Quote Originally Posted by Ericg View Post
    It says it will use the Intel specific drivers when available, when it can't use those then it will use the standarized x86 registers and the generic cpufreq infrastructure. Last line of the quoted text in the article.
    It doesn't really tell me anything. "latest cooling and P state drivers developed by Intel" does not necessarily mean Intel-specific. Although I didn't see a P-state listing in PowerTop on my AMD hardware, so I suppose it is Intel-specific? And I also have no clue what what the x86 register use means in this context.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    It doesn't really tell me anything. "latest cooling and P state drivers developed by Intel" does not necessarily mean Intel-specific. Although I didn't see a P-state listing in PowerTop on my AMD hardware, so I suppose it is Intel-specific? And I also have no clue what what the x86 register use means in this context.
    I'm assuming that Intel didn't develop drivers for AMD hardware, not really their style. So, yes, its Intel specific until AMD drivers are upstreamed and the daemon is patched to be aware of them.

The register comment would imply that part of the x86 standard is defining a specific set of CPU registers that say "When this register is this, it means: go to xyz performance state." So somewhere there is a register, lets call it PowerLevel (i know its not) and when its set to 1, thats idle, 2 is low power, 3 is medium, 4 is high, and 5 is turbo. And this daemon can set specific registers to specific values to help control the temperature of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Intel Releases Linux Thermal Daemon

Intel has announced the release of an open-source Linux Thermal Daemon package for Linux. Intel's Linux Thermal Daemon is for monitoring and controlling platform temperatures...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM2OTk
    Intel, why are you summoning these daemons?

Quote Originally Posted by Kivada View Post
    Intel, why are you summoning these daemons?

Interesting choice of a fire demon as a pun for a daemon that restricts heat.... more apt picture would have been an ice devil

Quick question: why don't they just patch the current cpufreq subsystem ? Why reinvent the wheel ?

Last question: that daemon runs in user space ? How efficient is that ? do we really a daemon for something that can be done by the kernel ?