Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Color Management Code Merged Into Wayland/Weston

Phoronix: Color Management Code Merged Into Wayland/Weston

Support for color management has been merged into Wayland's Weston compositor...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Richard Hughes

Richard Hughes is also the guy behind the ColorHug colorimeter device.

He also have contributed to the GNOME color calibration software, I believe.

Comment

The bigger news is that someone from the Enlightenment camp expressed interest in implementing the minimize thing after the whole drama with Scott and the rest of the devs. I think this is the only thing missing from having an X less Enlightenment.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
        The bigger news is that someone from the Enlightenment camp expressed interest in implementing the minimize thing after the whole drama with Scott and the rest of the devs. I think this is the only thing missing from having an X less Enlightenment.
        Un-fullscreening isnt implemented yet either (not sure if its on the E side or the Wayland side though...) The e18 release manager blog said they were missing un-fullscreening (and because undoing it isn't available, theyve disabled fullscreening to prevent complaints).

Do you have a link to where they said they'd handle writing the minimize code for Wayland? I haven't heard any news yet.
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
          Un-fullscreening isnt implemented yet either (not sure if its on the E side or the Wayland side though...) The e18 release manager blog said they were missing un-fullscreening (and because undoing it isn't available, theyve disabled fullscreening to prevent complaints).

Do you have a link to where they said they'd handle writing the minimize code for Wayland? I haven't heard any news yet.

Rafael is an E dev.
          Last edited by 89c51; 10 May 2013, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
            For anyone who that link craps out for, just drop the trailing "\" in the URL bar.

Is Rafael talking about implementing minimize at the protocol level or just at the weston level? Because I thought the wayland devs were still arguing about the best way to handle minimize at the protocol level-- thereby making any weston work pointless

Comment

I find it ironic how people say it is a Linux way of naming programs version 0.x for 10 years before reaching 1.0, yet Wayland is already 1.1 and it has no minimize or maximize - two of the most basic functions.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
                I find it ironic how people say it is a Linux way of naming programs version 0.x for 10 years before reaching 1.0, yet Wayland is already 1.1 and it has no minimize or maximize - two of the most basic functions.
                You're obviously new here. Wayland 1.0 only symbolized that the protocol was stable and they wouldn't break backwards compatibility. It didn't mean "Feature complete" or anything like that.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  Richard Hughes is also the guy behind the ColorHug colorimeter device.

He also have contributed to the GNOME color calibration software, I believe.
                  He's a big contributor to OSS. He's behind packagekit and various parts of the power management stack. He's also, I believe, helping with the cross-distro install system AppStream.
                  Lastly, he's mentioned the possibility of a new colorhug. A more professional version, if the current model does well enough (which, from last I heard, it seems to be doing).

BTW, I love the fact that color management is built into the protocol. That should make for a nice, consistent experience.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                    He's a big contributor to OSS. He's behind packagekit and various parts of the power management stack. He's also, I believe, helping with the cross-distro install system AppStream.
                    Lastly, he's mentioned the possibility of a new colorhug. A more professional version, if the current model does well enough (which, from last I heard, it seems to be doing).

BTW, I love the fact that color management is built into the protocol. That should make for a nice, consistent experience.
                    Not afraid to claim ignorance here... How exactly does Color Management work? With Wayland especially. Wayland's mandate is: every frame is perfect. I know this was more meant in the idea of tearing, but wouldn't that extend to "Every pixel is perfect"? Meaning: "Every pixel is exactly how the client meant for it to be drawn." So why would you need Color Management anyway? I guess color management would be useful for visually impaired users (flipping all colors to be the inverse in black and white)

Comment

Working...
                    X