Half-Life 2 Games Released For Linux On Steam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ElderSnake View Post
    Yeah its a bit weird Intel GPU isn't even mentioned in those requirements, since they are more than adequate.

Can't take the requirements listed in Steam too seriously though. It's like the ones that list OS as "Ubuntu 12.04".

Just because you use an entirely different distro doesn't mean you can't run it.
    System requirements for programs is like comparing CPUs based on gigglehurtz. It's a crapshoot. Sometimes they get close, but often not really, and since Linux is new and even with the Ubuntu's they are using different compositors and that can slow things down more but get rid of tearing etc, so it's much harder to do. Though I don't know if any games for Windows when they mentioned Vista ever said "recommended: turn Aero off".

Comment

Originally posted by bobwya View Post
      Anyone know if we'll ever be able to Black Mesa (Source)?? The mod uses the Source SDK 2007 fyi... That's the one game I am really hoping for!! (Especially since I'm still playing it through on Windows). Btw it's not playable under Wine on either of my systems (loads of stuttering)...

A bit of a long shot I guess...
      From the Black Mesa FAQ:

Will Black Mesa be ported to Xbox360, Mac or another platform?

At the moment Black Mesa supports only PCs powered by Microsoft Windows operating system [9]. No support for Mac or port for Xbox360 (although the Xbox360 controller is supported [10]). Linux will be supported only if developers could port the codebase over easily [11].

Comment

Originally posted by philip550c View Post
        From the Black Mesa FAQ:

Will Black Mesa be ported to Xbox360, Mac or another platform?

At the moment Black Mesa supports only PCs powered by Microsoft Windows operating system [9]. No support for Mac or port for Xbox360 (although the Xbox360 controller is supported [10]). Linux will be supported only if developers could port the codebase over easily [11].
        Once/if/when Source SDK is out for Linux I doubt very many modifications (if any?) would have to be made to Black Mesa to get a Linux port. I'm having trouble thinking of why any game assets would need "porting" if/when Source SDK is released for Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
          There is also no real reason to port Lost Coast or old HL1 mods etc., I think Valve will bring L4D1 sooner or later just for completeness' sake.
          Lost Coast beta was released for Linux at the same time HL2 beta and all the others were released. Anything based on Source will be easily portable now, probably not much real "porting" involved really. Most everything that is Linux-specific and ties in to Linux like the graphics and audio ABIs are in the engine AFAIK. I fully expect complete Linux support moving forward as well in part to the Steam box of course, but also general Linux popularity will slowly get bumped too no doubt over a long period of time.

More complaints in stores about the retailer trying to force Windows purchases on everyone instead of having a free Linux option. Can't wait!
          Last edited by Yfrwlf; 17 May 2013, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X