Half-Life 2 Games Released For Linux On Steam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
    There is also no real reason to port Lost Coast or old HL1 mods etc., I think Valve will bring L4D1 sooner or later just for completeness' sake.
    There's a good reason for hl1 mods : Counterstrike 1.6 is better than all the follow-ups, and my 7600GT with driver 304.84 won't run any Source game. Sadly no one plays the original DoD.

btw it looks like I have to rebuild the nvidia kernel module again even though I had passed on the last kernel update. or my card is dying I don't know. I don't have the money yet to buy a geforce 610.

Another problem is I made the mistake to buy the hl1 mods on a separate account, this could be useful but to switch account you have to fully enter name and password ; to have the option to choose account on startup the last used account name is written in the field already but you have to enter password. No remembering the password, as when you just use a single account.
    I would like to click account one, or account two, then click "login" and be done but Valve makes it painful.
    I don't even touch my first account where there are a few games I've never played (Penumbra etc., Steel Storm) but no Counterstrike, if I want to rid of the hassle I'm forced to buy Counterstrike 1 again, but I don't want to do that at full price (10 euros). I don't know when it will be at 3.x euros again. So in the end I very rarely launch Steam.
    Last edited by grok; 12 May 2013, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by grok View Post
      Another problem is I made the mistake to buy the hl1 mods on a separate account, this could be useful but to switch account you have to fully enter name and password ; to have the option to choose account on startup the last used account name is written in the field already but you have to enter password. No remembering the password, as when you just use a single account.
      I would like to click account one, or account two, then click "login" and be done but Valve makes it painful.
      I don't even touch my first account where there are a few games I've never played (Penumbra etc., Steel Storm) but no Counterstrike, if I want to rid of the hassle I'm forced to buy Counterstrike 1 again, but I don't want to do that at full price (10 euros). I don't know when it will be at 3.x euros again. So in the end I very rarely launch Steam.
      So ask Valve to merge the 2 accounts. If you can display that you own both and both are tied to the same charge card then it should be a non issue.

Comment

Anyone know if we'll ever be able to Black Mesa (Source)?? The mod uses the Source SDK 2007 fyi... That's the one game I am really hoping for!! (Especially since I'm still playing it through on Windows). Btw it's not playable under Wine on either of my systems (loads of stuttering)...

A bit of a long shot I guess...

Comment

Worst thing ever.. for my productivity

My productivity has dropped by more than 80% since hl2 hit on steam4linux.
          The forced rebooting in windows kept me from playing too many games... and now my productivity's gone

On a positive note, these ports are awesome: graphics are on par with windows (triple-head does not work, but that's just nitpicking), saves sync crossplatform and no more freakin' rebooting (ever!).

Comment

Originally posted by Grogan View Post
            That would be great, I liked the Half Life 2 games. I have all of those in Steam in Windows.

Maybe someday I'll install a distro that can run the Steam client.

Actually I hope someone ports Black Mesa (it's a source engine mod that is a remake of Half Life). That's my favourite "Half Life" anything.

http://www.blackmesasource.com/
            I hope they release a Steam static binary with all dependencies included, that would make things extremely simple for non-Ubuntu users.

Comment

Originally posted by EpochDC View Post
              My productivity has dropped by more than 80% since hl2 hit on steam4linux.
              The forced rebooting in windows kept me from playing too many games... and now my productivity's gone

On a positive note, these ports are awesome: graphics are on par with windows (triple-head does not work, but that's just nitpicking), saves sync crossplatform and no more freakin' rebooting (ever!).
              Well, its clearly something is wrong with your pc there is no games on windows, that would need to restart to play after installation... Yes, maybe hl2 is in pair with graphics, but thats just with source engine, some other games doesnt even have that On the other way, there is like 80% possibility, that you will fall into many bugs, that wont let you to even start many games on linux And linux is forcing me to restart pc in one day more than windows in like half-year

Comment

Originally posted by startzz View Post
                Well, its clearly something is wrong with your pc there is no games on windows, that would need to restart to play after installation... Yes, maybe hl2 is in pair with graphics, but thats just with source engine, some other games doesnt even have that On the other way, there is like 80% possibility, that you will fall into many bugs, that wont let you to even start many games on linux And linux is forcing me to restart pc in one day more than windows in like half-year
                not sure but he's probably referring to dualbooting

Comment

Originally posted by bobwya View Post
                  Anyone know if we'll ever be able to Black Mesa (Source)?? The mod uses the Source SDK 2007 fyi... That's the one game I am really hoping for!! (Especially since I'm still playing it through on Windows). Btw it's not playable under Wine on either of my systems (loads of stuttering)...

A bit of a long shot I guess...
                  No it's not, Source is their game engine which made cross-platform three years after the Windows release. From OS X to Linux is just a small jump. Now that Source is on Linux, the SDK will be soon too including Black Mesa.

Comment

Originally posted by bawkbawkboo1 View Post
                    OK, I just never knew you could do that. I'm using the propreitary drivers with my HD 7850 and it's mostly fine, but there are still a few lighting glitches I noticed in HL2, esp witht he flashlight.
                    Haven't had a problem on nvidia. It's funny how I used to champion amd so heavily, and still do when it comes to CPUs as far as performance and cost go, but experience has taught me that if I want the best gaming experience and don't want driver support pulled out from underneith me after a couple years, I should go with nvidia over amd.

If you're on Windows, you'll face the same problem, just not as severely, but amd said fuck you Linux users by that move so I'll stick with nvidia.
                    Last edited by Yfrwlf; 17 May 2013, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                      You can only log into Steam on 1 machine at a time. Once you are logged in, i don't think there are any restrictions.
                      I really hate that DRM. Normally a friend could be gaming on one of my computers with one of my games, and I could be gaming on another computer with a different game. That's okay, I still support games that have non-Steam options, no DRM, and/or are open source, and there is always cracking to rescue to give gamers back their rights, but of course you shouldn't have to do that and open source is the holy grail as usual. I want to see some good games being Kickstarted that will be open source. If you pay to have a game developed, you should have complete and total rights and access to that game in every way.

I'm glad Steam is on Linux though as it allows gamers to quickly and easily play games and donate to those who make them when and if they can afford and feel it is justifiable to do so. My Steam Linux game count is about to hit 60!
                      Last edited by Yfrwlf; 17 May 2013, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X