No announcement yet.

Canonical Plans For Usable Ubuntu Phone By Month's End

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can't really count visitors by ip address either tho because NAT is pretty much ubiquitous.

EDIT: The only possible way I can see how to count unique visitors is by requiring some kind of user interaction.
    Last edited by duby229; 10 May 2013, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
      And yeah, I'm not defensive. I just enjoy poking holes in idiotic arguments.
      Except that you are on the defensive. In fact, you went out of your way to say that.
      That sure looks defensive to me.

For now they do. But notice the large number of Ubuntu-exclusive programs that they use. And that's not because of technical merits (otherwise they would have been adopted by others). So Ubuntu is just making itself way more distant from what is the norm in the other distributions. It's becoming an outlier, it's not representative of GNU/Linux as a whole. That's what I don't like - it is still true that Ubuntu is the most popular distribution, and thus the first distribution new users are likely to look at, and if they see an outlier instead of something close to the average, they won't know what GNU/Linux actually is.
      Upstart was based on technical merit, it just so happens that they would rather use it since they've put R&D and money into it, which they haven't with systemd, and they still achieve a very similar end result. In fact, Chrome OS and OpenWebOS both use Upstart over systemd.
      And all of these projects are open source, any Linux distro can impliment them.
      This doesn't make Ubuntu magically outside the GNU/Linux sphere.
      Last edited by intellivision; 10 May 2013, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
        I only want linux to be more popular so it has better hardware and software support. Right now Canonical has the best chance. That is why I am supporting them and am against all its detractors.
        And that is dangerous: What if Canonical decides that they need their own driver ABI for Mir? If they get successful GPU vendors will write Mir drivers instead of Xorg/Wayland, so the better hardware support to Linux would be zero. Software side is the same: Mir uses it's own protocol, so software written for Mir won't work with Xorg/Wayland.

So people aren't that wrong when they compare Canonical with Apple and/or Ubuntu with Android. It isn't that bad right now, but with small steps Canonical seems to walk to it.
        Last edited by V10lator; 10 May 2013, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
          Except that you are on the defensive. In fact, you went out of your way to say that.
          That sure looks defensive to me.
          You don't seem to know what "defensive" means...

Comment

Android is to linux what iOS is to *BSD, so to say linux has captured the phone market you might as well say linux & unix have captured 90% of the phone market between them.

I am not sure why Ubuntu felt the need to reinvent everything, what with Tizen, Maemo (either the original GTK one or the QT one), firefox OS, jolla, we definitely didn't need yet another mobile OS. It requires a huge amount of effort to produce a mobile device with a well integrated experience - Nokia didn't fully succeed with the n900 even after several years of effort.

I have a full arm linux install on my Galaxy Note2; I simply mount and chroot into it. I can fire up sshd and ssh in to the phone if I want. I can run vncserver, and then use vnc client in android for super-nerd mode.

Or, use USB host with a keyboard, MHL with external display. However, for the majority of activities, android is fine!

Comment

Originally posted by speculatrix View Post
              I am not sure why Ubuntu felt the need to reinvent everything, what with Tizen, Maemo (either the original GTK one or the QT one), firefox OS, jolla, we definitely didn't need yet another mobile OS.
              None of these are convergent, or a "full" linux distro. Meego came close, but Ubuntu is going for something much different than a standard "only does phone" mobile OS.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                None of these are convergent, or a "full" linux distro. Meego came close, but Ubuntu is going for something much different than a standard "only does phone" mobile OS.
                what do you mean by a "full" distro? that only really makes sense if you're going to attach a larger screen and keyboard.

with a fairly bloated KDE desktop install being 8G+ you're going to need a significant amount of storage just for that. Add in a full complement of development tools, kernel source build, QT build environment, you're getting into 64GB territory - in a phone!

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                  EDIT: The only possible way I can see how to count unique visitors is by requiring some kind of user interaction.
                  Then, having got your unique-user-counting right, you've biased your results in favour of groups who bother to interact with surveying systems. That would probably be good for us Linuxites.

Comment

Originally posted by speculatrix View Post
                    what do you mean by a "full" distro? that only really makes sense if you're going to attach a larger screen and keyboard.
                    I am disgusted that I had to google this for you. Check 1/3 way down the page. If you need more info, google it. I'm not going to find it for you again.

Ubuntu is an open source software operating system that runs from the desktop, to the cloud, to all your internet connected things.

Comment

Working...
                    X