Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epic Citadel Demo Brought To HTML5 Browsers

Phoronix: Epic Citadel Demo Brought To HTML5 Browsers

Earlier this year Epic Games brought Unreal Engine 3 to web browsers in the form of WebGL and HTML5. Epic has now released a new technology demo for HTML5 web-browsers in the form of Citadel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Pretty cool. I get 22 FPS in fullscreen Full HD, no matter if KWin compositing is on or off. This is Firefox 20.0, NVIDIA drivers, GTX 660.

Though to start it, I had to reload the page, as the first time around the image got stuck somehow. Weird.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      Pretty cool. I get 22 FPS in fullscreen Full HD, no matter if KWin compositing is on or off. This is Firefox 20.0, NVIDIA drivers, GTX 660.
      Check FF23, you should get 40-60 fps (CPU is a bottleneck).

Comment

Originally posted by kwahoo View Post
        Check FF23, you should get 40-60 fps (CPU is a bottleneck).
        Eh, I can't be bothered with fetching that. Once it gets packaged, I'll retest. As for the CPU, I'm using an i5-3470.

Comment

In Firefox Nightly with intel 4000 and mesa git I had to go to about:config and set layers.acceleration.force-enabled to true to get good performance (at least in not fullscreen mode).

But it runs with 60 fps on 1920x1080 and is very smooth.

Comment

Eh, I can't be bothered with fetching that. Once it gets packaged, I'll retest.
            Firefox Nightly is packaged upstream very nicely. You just have to download the tarball, extract it (e.g. in your home directory) and double click the binary and it should just work.

Comment

My results:
              Firefox 20: 16-30fps
              Firefox 22: 30-40fps
              Firefox 23: (going to try!)
              Chromium 26: Just a crash.

This on 1280x1024 on a poor 9500GT with nvidia blob and Intel Core2 Duo [email protected]

Comment

firefox 20: 16-30
                firefox 20 + Layers acceleration: 16-38
                Aurora 22: 30-40
                Firefox 23: 30-40
                Firefox 23 + Layers acceleration: 40-60
                Aurora 22 + Layers acceleration: 45-60

Chromium 26: Just a crash.

This on 1280x1024 on a poor 9500GT with nvidia blob and Intel Core2 Duo [email protected]

Comment

Though to start it, I had to reload the page, as the first time around the image got stuck somehow. Weird.
                  Something is definitely off with your setup. I get 16fps and I have a Quadro 140m about 400mHz clockspeed with 16 cuda cores. You should beat me by a 1.6km(1 mile). Try Firefox Nightly,
                  # sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-mozilla-daily/ppa
                  # sudo apt-get install firefox-trunk

And/Or use the 313 nvidia drivers instead of the 319 (319 apparently slows performance down) and install vdpau-va-driver

# sudo apt-get install vdpau-va-driver

Use "yum" instead of "apt-get" for fedora and under fedora you'll have to install the tar from http://nightly.mozilla.org/
                  Use "pacman -S" instead of "apt-get install" for arch and under arch you'll have to install the tar from http://nightly.mozilla.org/

Comment

So,

I used Nvidia 313 driver, nvidia quadro 140m, vdpau, xorg-edgers repository, Gnome Ubuntu Remix Saucy Salamander 32-bit, Gnome-testing repository (gnome-shell was 3.9.1), and firefox nightly 23a.

I got 16fps, but Epic Citadel definitely looked/rendered better than anything I have thrown at my computer through wine. Have I missed a generation of graphics or something; I've never seen an engine look so good on my computer. O_O

Comment

Working...
                    X