Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 42

Thread: What is the best nvidia gpu for gaming?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    26

    Default What is the best nvidia gpu for gaming?

    Hi guys, what is the best gpu for gaming at this moment in Linux? I was thinking to buy a GTX 660, but is it overkill at this point? Right know i have a couple of HD6670 in crossfire and they get the job done easily...but i'm fed up with AMD drivers!
    I play @1080P, mostly SS3, TF2 still waiting for some decent FPS.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    822

    Default

    The "best GPU" depends on the games and the screen resolution at which you play. If you play Metro 2033 on Wine with triple 2560x1600 monitors, then not even a GeForce Titan will be enough.

    A decent price/performance ratio can be had from the 650 Ti Boost right now, which can play modern games at medium to high settings up to 1080p.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,791

    Default

    The best GPU for gaming right now is the GK110. It's used in the NVidia GTX Titan. It's very expensive, but you clearly asked what the best GPU is right now, and that's the answer.

    As to whether it's overkill, under Linux probably yes. Under Windows, maybe a bit, depending on the games you play. It's not overkill if you have a 120Hz monitor and expect to get 120FPS from every game you play with maxed out settings. For that, you might even have to run two Titans in SLI even.
    Last edited by RealNC; 05-06-2013 at 10:07 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    The best GPU for gaming right now is the GK110. It's used in the NVidia GTX Titan. It's very expensive, but you clearly asked what the best GPU is right now, and that's the answer.
    Only if you think that best=fastest.

    I think that the OP is well aware that the GTX 660 is not the fastest GPU.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marco26 View Post
    Hi guys, what is the best gpu for gaming at this moment in Linux? I was thinking to buy a GTX 660, but is it overkill at this point? Right know i have a couple of HD6670 in crossfire and they get the job done easily...but i'm fed up with AMD drivers!
    I play @1080P, mostly SS3, TF2 still waiting for some decent FPS.
    Lol.

    I got HD5850 for 50$ used... And I use it with opensource driver. And it shows some really good performance!

    You can't be serious awaiting for 6670 to perform any good, especially that crossfire/sli never work right in Linux drivers! It is either completely broken (nvidia/fglrx) or nobody bothered to implement it (radeon).

    So sell your two slowpoke cards that work in broken linkage and buy a single good GPU.
    Either HD58xx, 69xx or 7870+. The opensource driver for 787x+ should stabilize pretty soon.
    Or buy nvidia 460+, 560+, 660+, but forget about opensource drivers.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    26

    Default

    AMD drivers suck! Latest update and my boot time doubled which by itself is pretty annoying but even worse is i'm getting my GUI broken in half every time i left my computer unattended for more than a couple of hours....the performance by itself was actually not bad! and the crossfire actually scaled nicely it was never broken. But seriously its time for me to move on...for nvidia.

    Recommending the titan for playing serious sam and team fortress @ 1080p it is pretty lousy advice to say the least. At this point I'm just looking for a decent solution without wasting money, because there are no AAA games just old stuff that got ported by valve which i could play on my P4 So my dilemma is just if paying for a gtx 660 is not throwing money out as I probably will never use it at full potential. What is confusing me is the way nvidia gpu's are priced locally let's say


    gtx 650 it starts @ arround 100$ and up to 150$ depending on the brand , memory, cooler, etc..
    gtx 650TI from 140$ up to 170$
    gtx 650ti boost 170$ to 185$

    ASUS GTX660 DCII top 2 gb is 215$ which seems the most attractive deal to me, really nice and quiet cooler and by far the most powerful GPU, but it will probably got wasted for playing on linux...

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marco26 View Post
    AMD drivers suck! Latest update and my boot time doubled which by itself is pretty annoying but even worse is i'm getting my GUI broken in half every time i left my computer unattended for more than a couple of hours....
    Then rollback to previous version and report this issue to AMD. Regressions may happen with any drivers, you know. With GeForce you may get much more serious troubles (xorg crash) and wait for fix for eight months without any answer from nVidia https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/t...3-2-0-4-amd64/ (at least GTS 250 and GTX 560 is affected by this bug) and almost without open source option (because nouveau run on Fermi and Kepler on default lowest power profile so that will be not enough for games). That, you know, just example. You may buy new shiny GeForce and be happy for some time, but if you face with such critical issue be ready to be ignored by nVidia for months and be ready wait fix for up to 1.5 years (that from my experience of using GeForce GPU's).

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,623

    Default

    A gl2benchmark rendering issue that showed up in flight gear as well needed about 1y fix for fglrx as well. I think there was a 2nd issue which needed a similar timeframe but dont remember it now. When you look at source engine based games fglrx is really bad compared to nvidia.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    A gl2benchmark rendering issue that showed up in flight gear as well needed about 1y fix for fglrx as well. I think there was a 2nd issue which needed a similar timeframe but dont remember it now. When you look at source engine based games fglrx is really bad compared to nvidia.
    You actually compare critical issue (xserver crash) with rendering issue - you are serious? btw, I may remember more examples (broken 3D on 7300/7400 Go since 270 build of the driver - "long" hardware support in nVidia driver is nothing but joke) but this one (GTS 250, GTS 560) just fresh.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    ฿ 16LDJ6Hrd1oN3nCoFL7BypHSEYL84ca1JR
    Posts
    1,052

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brosis View Post
    The opensource driver for 787x+ should stabilize pretty soon.
    Right now none of the source games work with even git master and serious sam doesn't either so I'm not sure this is good advice.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •