Open-Source Radeon UVD Video Support On Fedora

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
    How bad are these things? My laptop is 5 years old. Core2 Duo CPU. Software decoding of a 720p clip uses roughly 30% of the CPU. ... Living with 30% CPU usage for a few more months seemed OK but if AMD APUs are really this bad, I can understand why everybody is so eager to get this to work.
    The e-350: think Atom + 30%. Not even close to your core 2 duo (but something like 5% of the price and 30% of the wattage).

Comment

Yep. Remember that we make "big APUs" (A series with 2-4 Stars or Piledriver cores) and "small APUs" (E series with 1-2 Bobcat cores), and the big ones have 2-3x the CPU and GPU power of the small ones.

UVD is more helpful on the small APUs, since they have relatively lower CPU power available for software decoding.
      Last edited by bridgman; 06 May 2013, 06:54 AM.
      Test signature

Comment

Nvidia

I wish Nouvoue worked better with video acceleration too.
        720p and 1080p on YouTube lags.

Comment

Originally posted by Ibidem View Post
          Just out of curiosity-are you sure it's CPU decoding, or do you have an odd setup?
          A Core2 Duo would usually be integrated Intel gfx or Nvidia, which would mean vaapi support or vdpau.
          NVidia and I have working VDPAU but only MPlayer is using it. I prefer VLC, though, and VLC 2.0 only supports VAAPI (the VAAPI wrapper for NVidia never ever worked for me). VLC 2.1 will support VDPAU and according to https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/roadmap it's around the corner (due in 9 days).

Comment

Originally posted by chris200x9 View Post
            If only laptop users could use the open source driver at all. Without power management my laptop overheats to shutdown even with low profile AND doing nothing graphically intensive.
            That's really funny, because my laptop is running the open source drivers, and I exceed the advertised battery life by over an hour.

Comment

How bad are these things? My laptop is 5 years old. Core2 Duo CPU. Software decoding of a 720p clip uses roughly 30% of the CPU.
              My original intention with my comment was that getting VDPAU to work seems too complicated that it would be worth the effort until the patch lands in Linux distributions. Living with 30% CPU usage for a few more months seemed OK but if AMD APUs are really this bad, I can understand why everybody is so eager to get this to work.
              Too bad compiling this stuff will take ages on those things…
              Some simple math:
              1280x720=921,600
              1920x1080=2,073,600
              2,073,600/921,600=2.25
              2.25x30%=67.5% <-- there is your ***AVERAGE*** CPU use for decoding a 1080p video at the same 30 fps.
              Now, near 70% average means a number of things to you:
              1) That the PEAK will be over 100%.
              2) That 60 fps is totally out of reach.
              3) That higher bitrate videos will be totally out of reach.
              4) That your CPU fan will be running on full vacuum cleaner mode 100% of the time.

Have you ever tried watching a movie with frames dropping, A/V out of sync, and a vacuum cleaner running in the background?

My HTPC is a single core Sempron, selected for low power consumption and low NOISE. It is *able* to decode 720p with under 50% CPU use. It can more or less decode 1080p 30fps typical 1.5 hours per 10 GB stuff you find on the 'net.... but the vacuum cleaner mode is a bit distracting and counteracts the objectives.... which is why I installed a crystalhd 970015 in the unit. I would sure be happy to drop the crystalhd, but the chipset is an RS780, aka "not yet supported".
              Last edited by droidhacker; 06 May 2013, 08:35 AM.

Comment

NVidia and I have working VDPAU but only MPlayer is using it. I prefer VLC, though, and VLC 2.0 only supports VAAPI (the VAAPI wrapper for NVidia never ever worked for me). VLC 2.1 will support VDPAU and according to https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/roadmap it's around the corner (due in 9 days).
                nvidia is not= to nouveau.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                  nvidia is not= to nouveau.
                  If you reply to one of my comments, do it in complete sentences.

Comment

If you reply to one of my comments, do it in complete sentences.
                    Go troll elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                      Go troll elsewhere.
                      Anybody here understanding what this retard meant by ?nvidia is not= to nouveau??

Comment

Working...
                      X