Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left 4 Dead 2 Beta Surfaces For Linux Gamers

Phoronix: Left 4 Dead 2 Beta Surfaces For Linux Gamers

As expected, the beta of Left 4 Dead 2 is now natively available to Linux gamers via Valve's Steam...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Awesome, time to test

But I wonder, it requires 18GB download, and the beta is separate installation. Does anyone know how much diskspace the Windows version requires?

Comment

According to some on the steam for Linux forum, Ubuntu does not show the right file size.

On openSUSE it was an 11.5 gig download.

I just looked with my file browser, the folder is over 18 gig.

So they used some compression tool.

The normal windows size is probably smaller.
      This beta is not just left for dead 2, its a reworked Left for dead 2, which will replace the old one, when they are done beta testing.
      In your windows steam library there should be two left for dead 2, the beta and the old one.

What they exactly changed, I do not fully know.

Last night noticed something though. The conversion and warnings are changed. First it was boomer, now I heard fat guy.
      I would need start it on windows to really compare, but I believe they tweaked the graphics too.
      Fire looked better, and I saw more ceiling tiles fall down.

Comment

Cool

Cool!
        L4D2 is a game a lot of people have been waiting for, I am sure!

Really nice to see it finally coming to Linux, this will please many gamers!

L4D2 is a November 2009 game tho, I hope to see a 2013 game.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Cool!
          L4D2 is a game a lot of people have been waiting for, I am sure!

Really nice to see it finally coming to Linux, this will please many gamers!

L4D2 is a November 2009 game tho, I hope to see a 2013 game.
          Is impossible to see a 2013, generally, games for linux, are the same games that are avalaibles on mac xd

Comment

Runs with constantly 60fps (vsync) and no visual glitches here in kwin without disabling compositing. Nice :-)

Driver: r600g (sb enabled) from git + drm-next kernel
            Hardware: radeon juniper (5770) + intel i5 (2.4Ghz)

Comment

Originally posted by pandev92 View Post
              Is impossible to see a 2013, generally, games for linux, are the same games that are avalaibles on mac xd
              It would be nice to see same-day-launch of 2013 games for Windows, Linus and Mac.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                It would be nice to see same-day-launch of 2013 games for Windows, Linus and Mac.
                Anomaly 2 will launch the same day for all platforms. But then I suppose you want "AAA titles" or something else. In any case you want to complain.

Comment

Originally posted by pandev92 View Post
                  It's not impossible.

Maybe Triple A games, but there is a lot of beautiful indie games coming to all three platforms te day of release.
                  I'm looking forward to the sequel to Amnesia: The Dark Decent, http://aamfp.com/

Comment

Originally posted by grenadecx View Post
                    Awesome, time to test

But I wonder, it requires 18GB download, and the beta is separate installation. Does anyone know how much diskspace the Windows version requires?
                    The Windows non-beta version here is somewhat over 14GB. Just the "left 4 dead 2" folder though. I'm not counting the common bits downloaded that are shared with other source games.

Comment

Working...
                    X