Features Of A Happy Linux Desktop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Features Of A Happy Linux Desktop?

Phoronix: Features Of A Happy Linux Desktop?

During Keith Packard's talk at FOSDEM 2008, he had went in-depth on talking about what he wants to see for a "happy desktop" for Linux users. Most of these issues are commonsense or have been described in earlier talks (such as from Linux.Conf.Au), but below is his list...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think this is a good enough list to tackle for this year. I know for sure it would make me happy

Comment

Working 3D drivers with Xv(MC) is really all I want for a "happy" Linux desktop.

Comment

All that would really be awesome, but question: why is it too early for kernel mode setting and what is kernel mode setting?
        EDIT: Kernel Mode setting is used to remove that flicker every time you boot or log out of X. (same flicker that happens during resolution changes.)
        Last edited by xerop; 25 February 2008, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the videos.

Is the Keith Packard video still on the way?

The Egbert Eich video has no sound BTW

Comment

I'm very interested this this but I have no clue of spoken English and want to see the videos

Any volunteer for English subtitles? Please, geeks from other countries will be very happy with them

Please...

Comment

The Keith Packard - Intel & X.Org (96MB; Ogg Theora) talk is a dead link: http://www.radeonhd.org/fosdem-2008/...2008_intel.ogg

Thanks for posting these though.

Comment

The Keith video will be up soon... stuck in airport travel hell (United Airlines) right now.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Great video. Thanks!
                  But was it just me, or does the video get cut off at 30:48 before the talk ends?

Comment

yeah, both Keith Whitwell's and Keith Packard's videos that I've seen, end before their talk ends.

Comment

Working...
                    X