Portal Released For Steam On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FLHerne View Post
    Being a beta, I shoudln't be so surprised to run up against bugs...

The game crashes instantly when I place the cube on the button in Test-Chamber 14. Does this happen for anyone else?
    I don't know, haven't tried the Linux client.
    But the Windows version runs well under Wine.

Comment

Yeah Super Meat Boy ran like a dog (it's just a Flash-wrapped program isn't it?) and when I saw the dev's attitude, I decided to give up even trying to play it.

Comment

Hey guys, I just wanted to say I noticed the Left 4 Dead 2 Beta is up now! Downloading to my Ubuntu domU with Radeon HD 7950 as we speak...

Comment

I had no problem running and playing Torchlight and Super Meat Boy on my Core i3 (Intel HD Graphics 1st gen.) Don’t know what you guys are talking about.
          (I tried SMB only recently; maybe there’s been an update! Also I didn’t get far.)

Edit: on topic: Yay, Portal, cool. Wooo, I also have two steam accounts and Portal is on the other one.

Comment

Sadly I've completed the two Portal games on Windows (mainly - Portal 2 ran like a dog in Wine, Portal 1 was OK)... L4D news is great...
            Please, please Valve port the Source SDK to allow us to run mods like Black Mesa...

Comment

Re: Portal Released for Steam On Linux

I had (on the Win7 partition of my desktop) purchased on Steam the entire Orange Box collection for $4.99 on a super sale. I was informed yesterday that Portal beta was available. It plays like a dream under Linux on my desktop rig. I also installed it on my $200 Acer C7 Chromebook running ChrUbuntu 12.04, and it plays practically as well as on my desktop.

Color me impressed, with the code, with the game (of course), and with the hardware I didn't have to pay a Windows tax for.

Comment

I just tried the Linux version of Portal on my Core i3 550 and the display is trashed. I can?t access the menu (problem displaying fonts too I guess) to see if there?s any video option to be tweaked.

I played Portal one year ago under Wine and it was working very well (apart from a problem with portals rendering if I remember correctly.)

Comment

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
                  Ditto about the stutters in Portal and SS3, but it's not your card waking up. Notice those don't happen the next time you load up the game and load an existing save. They only happen on the beginning levels.
                  I've just completed my play through of Portal and I've also played a bit of L4D2 and I can confirm the stuttering. It happens directly after starting the respective game's binary, no matter whether I start a new game or load a saved game. Once the engine's been running for a few seconds the stuttering is gone for good. The way it looks to me, this is probably a caching issue, once everything's been loaded into memory the game runs fine.

Try restarting Steam (or possibly rebooting your machine), then load a save game directly after starting the binary, you'll probably get stutters again for a few seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildfire View Post
                    I've just completed my play through of Portal and I've also played a bit of L4D2 and I can confirm the stuttering. It happens directly after starting the respective game's binary, no matter whether I start a new game or load a saved game. Once the engine's been running for a few seconds the stuttering is gone for good. The way it looks to me, this is probably a caching issue, once everything's been loaded into memory the game runs fine.

Try restarting Steam (or possibly rebooting your machine), then load a save game directly after starting the binary, you'll probably get stutters again for a few seconds.
                    I don't have that issue, I only have the initial studder at the first of the games and I think the same thing happens on Windows too.

I did fix the screen tearing issue I was having though. It's one of these two solutions for Nvidia users:

Install the 310.44 driver, the 310.14 one seems to have an issue

OR

try the 310.44 driver in Ubuntu 13.04. No tearing issues with that combo in 13.04. I haven't tried other window managers yet.

Comment

I personally have encountered a few problems with it on my system. I have a HD5750 and it runs very smooth on maximum detail, but if AA is above 2x then the game stutters every 3 seconds or so. The stuttering stops completely when I drop it to 2x. Another problem is there seems to be some delay with the mouse, and it gets particularly worse when I'm looking at something with some special effect such as glass. The frame rate doesn't seem to drop (or it still looks very smooth anyway) and animations are still playing at the same speed, but the "camera" doesn't keep up with the mouse.

It is still a beta though so I can wait. I've beaten the game a couple times anyway so I'm not in any rush to play it again.

Comment

Working...
                      X