Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Portal Released For Steam On Linux

Default Portal Released For Steam On Linux

Phoronix: Portal, Portal 2 Released For Steam On Linux

Valve's very popular Portal and Portal 2 interactive puzzle video games are now natively available on Linux!..

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM2Mzk

I'm only seeing "Portal (Beta)", but no Portal 2 even though I do own it. Maybe there's some kind of staggered release?

Quote Originally Posted by zman0900 View Post
    I'm only seeing "Portal (Beta)", but no Portal 2 even though I do own it. Maybe there's some kind of staggered release?
    why would you think that it would be the final version of portal? These are some of the first major games for linux, they will all be beta until they have received extensive testing and bug fixes then will be called final. I don't think they are purposely staggering their releases, they are just porting them and testing them as fast as possible. Left 4 dead 2 is supposed to be out within the next few days/weeks too.

Well, that's something I might actually go and play. Haven't messed around with portal for a long time. I did play through portal 2 under wine on linux and it wasn't very nice.

The custom maps for portal could be cool :3

Quote Originally Posted by hajj_3 View Post
    why would you think that it would be the final version of portal? These are some of the first major games for linux, they will all be beta until they have received extensive testing and bug fixes then will be called final. I don't think they are purposely staggering their releases, they are just porting them and testing them as fast as possible. Left 4 dead 2 is supposed to be out within the next few days/weeks too.
    I never said anything of the sort. I said I don't have Portal *2* yet, but the article says it should be available.

I never said anything of the sort. I said I don't have Portal *2* yet, but the article says it should be available.
    Yeah, I sure don't see Portal 2 either. Just the first one. Still. Awesome.

I just registered to say I don't see Portal 2 available either, just Portal, and I just bought Portal 2 under the expectation that it was available already only to find out it is not. Oh well, hopefully it will become available in the upcoming weeks so my purchase does not go to waste. (I can only imagine it will be available eventually, but sooner than later would be nice.)

That said, Portal is downloading currently and I'll definitely have to give it a try later, see how well it runs on my system.

Just spent a few minutes trying out the portal beta. It runs, but its not really ready for actual gameplay, at least not on Intel HD4000. Seems to have lots of glitches with depth testing, things sometimes show through walls or become transparent, or the portal ring will cover everything between the screen and the wall its actually on. I'm using Arch so the graphics drivers aren't outdated. With the exception of the glitches, it runs pretty well at about medium settings.

Just spent a few minutes trying out the portal beta. It runs, but its not really ready for actual gameplay, at least not on Intel HD4000. Seems to have lots of glitches with depth testing, things sometimes show through walls or become transparent, or the portal ring will cover everything between the screen and the wall its actually on. I'm using Arch so the graphics drivers aren't outdated. With the exception of the glitches, it runs pretty well at about medium settings.
    Oh dear, that does not bode well for me then, as I only have Mobile Intel GM45 graphics. Still, I can at least give it a look later, once it's done downloading... It seems to have stalled at 97%, along with the Team Fortress 2 Beta update, and Steam client update itself isn't downloading right either...

Seems to be running great for me (on NVIDIA though).

On first run in the first level there were a few hitches as the actual portals were revealed but smoothed out.

This seems to be common with Source games in Linux though? TF2 has a few hitches while loading, I assume, assets then smoothes out.