Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XFS In Linux 3.10 To Put On Extra Protection

Phoronix: XFS In Linux 3.10 To Put On Extra Protection

The XFS file-system with the forthcoming Linux 3.10 kernel will have an experimental feature for CRC protection of meta-data...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Crc for meta-data is cool and all that, but it's like saying "well, the trojan wiped all your data, but since it didn't get root, at least you don't need to reinstall your OS!".

Comment

Originally posted by [Knuckles] View Post
      Crc for meta-data is cool and all that, but it's like saying "well, the trojan wiped all your data, but since it didn't get root, at least you don't need to reinstall your OS!".
      CRC for metadata isn't designed for security. It is just a means of ensuring metadata integrity.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
        CRC for metadata isn't designed for security. It is just a means of ensuring metadata integrity.
        This interests me. I've used XFS before and it was always good, so I wouldn't mind abandoning ext4 and going back to XFS if there was some advantage in doing so. Data integrity is a big deal for me, and I'd rate it more important than performance (though good performance is always nice to). Actually, XFS does perform well. So I guess my next question is: does ext4 have CRC checking too, or is XFS the first?

Comment

Originally posted by Candide View Post
          This interests me. I've used XFS before and it was always good, so I wouldn't mind abandoning ext4 and going back to XFS if there was some advantage in doing so. Data integrity is a big deal for me, and I'd rate it more important than performance (though good performance is always nice to). Actually, XFS does perform well. So I guess my next question is: does ext4 have CRC checking too, or is XFS the first?
          ext4.wiki.kernel.org: Ext4 Metadata Checksums

Comment

This is designed to protect metadata integrity. It will not make XFS protect your data anymore than it already does. That is to say, not at all.

If you want data integrity, you should use ZFS.

Comment

XFS isn't the first. Linux 3.5 introduced some checksums for metadata integrity in Ext4

Summary of the changes and new features merged in the Linux kernel during the 3.5 development cycle

Btrfs provides better data integrity but like all filesystems has its own set of tradeoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by ryao View Post
                This is designed to protect metadata integrity. It will not make XFS protect your data anymore than it already does. That is to say, not at all.

If you want data integrity, you should use ZFS.
                NILFS2 is also interesting for data integrity.

Comment

Working...
                X