Thread: NVIDIA 319.17 Linux Driver Brings In New Features

Default NVIDIA 319.17 Linux Driver Brings In New Features

Phoronix: NVIDIA 319.17 Linux Driver Brings In New Features

One month after releasing the very first NVIDIA 319.xx Linux driver beta, NVIDIA has now released their 319.17 driver as a certified Linux driver that supports an assortment of new features...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM2MzQ

Default OpenGL ES

How about OpenGL ES support and Eagle, EGL?

With nvidia's serious attention toward their closed source linux drivers lately, I'd say all 3 major GPU distributors are about equal. Nvidia has the best closed source drivers, intel has the best open source drivers, and AMD seems to be directly in the middle between both open and closed. I guess what you can say about that is how serious you are about either performance or having a FOSS system.

Keep them coming, and perhaps soon Optimus support will mature?

Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    With nvidia's serious attention toward their closed source linux drivers lately, I'd say all 3 major GPU distributors are about equal. Nvidia has the best closed source drivers, intel has the best open source drivers, and AMD seems to be directly in the middle between both open and closed. I guess what you can say about that is how serious you are about either performance or having a FOSS system.
    Close, but not quite right. Intel drivers does well and are stable on simple geometry (like Compiz) but not so well on heavy shader load (like modern demanding games). Fglrx has way more features and overall better shader stability, while it might fail on the "simple stuff" from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by efikkan View Post
    Intel drivers does well and are stable on simple geometry (like Compiz) but not so well on heavy shader load (like modern demanding games).
    Looks like they'll address this issue soon: http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM2MzM

Quote Originally Posted by efikkan View Post
    Keep them coming, and perhaps soon Optimus support will mature?

Close, but not quite right. Intel drivers does well and are stable on simple geometry (like Compiz) but not so well on heavy shader load (like modern demanding games). Fglrx has way more features and overall better shader stability, while it might fail on the "simple stuff" from time to time.
    fglrx is closed source. I'm not aware of any open source drivers that perform better and are more feature rich than intel's, but you also have take comparable hardware into account.