Ondemand governor dramatically slows down mesa perfomance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
    Does randr provideroffloadsink not work better yet?
    Depends what you want. Most people don't have much use for zaphod mode, but some people still want independent X screens where you can't move windows between them.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
      Glxgears is to see if your OpenGL is working, nothing else! What its developers forgot is to put large "Glxgears is NOT a benchmark" as background...!

If you want glxgears that IS benchmark, that would be Jgears.
      well glxgears or whatever but i can confirm in my system that ondemand don't seems to scalate freq fast enough to feed my 7770/radeonsi cuz i got more FPS with peformance in Xonotic for example as well with webgl chromium examples.

so it seems ondemand is not doing a great job and should be revised[maybe android interactive governor could be ported back to linux]

Comment

I know that using ondemand makes my games run a lot worse, especially WINE games.
        Diablo 3 stutters between 5 and 25 FPS with OnDemand, hits 60(vsync) easily with Performance. Never bothered to really look into it.

Comment

The following helps for me with ondemand. This value used to be 31 in kernel 2.6.24, but now it's set to 95.
          echo 30 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold

Comment

There are a lot of tools to mode set your CPUs

In Arch based systems there is sudo cpupower frequency-set -g [mode]
            Mode being performance, ondemand, or userspace (you can manually set the frequency level under userspace)
            userspace tutorial : use
            sudo cpupower frequency-info
            to find the usable frequency step like 2.00 Ghz, 1.6 Ghz, 1.2 Ghz and so on then convert to hz then use
            sudo cpupower frequency-set -f [frequency_step]
            An example for 1.6 Ghz: sudo cpupower frequency-set -f 1600000
            An example for 800 Mhz: sudo cpupower frequency-set -f 800000
            You can use 'sudo cpupower frequency-info' to verify frequency. And you MUST be using the userspace governor
            to manually set frequencies.
            >>source : https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...quency_Scaling

In buntu's/Mint_Linux you can install the cpufreq indicator and you have a GUI interface to set the modes or frequency.
            sudo apt-get install indicator-cpufreq
            >>source : http://www.hecticgeek.com/2012/10/us...-tasks-ubuntu/

I also use the coolbits overclock option for the nvidia-blob to easily overclock my gpu. I recommend it if your screen is stuttering under game play or HD videos, but make sure your gpu stay's under 67 +/- 2 CELSIUS(~152.6) or you can damage the card and/or motherboard. Voids most warranties. Giving your computer some rest every once in a while helps too.
            >>source : https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...g_overclocking

I love using 'gkrellm' in any Linux system. It sticks out in my themes, but I can make it show the temperatures from the sensors on my computer, see bandwidth usage, power levels, cpu usage, mem usage, read/write levels, and a lot more in one panel. I use it in panel mode so I can leisurely look to the right of the screen any time and check temp levels and cpu usage. PS: gkrellm has it own themes you can add and many plugins.

to install
            buntu's/Mint_Linux: sudo apt-get install gkrellm
            Arch: sudo pacman -S gkrellm

Comment

In Arch based systems there is sudo cpupower frequency-set -g [mode]
              Mode being performance, ondemand, or userspace (you can manually set the frequency level under userspace)
              userspace tutorial : use
              sudo cpupower frequency-info
              to find the usable frequency step like 2.00 Ghz, 1.6 Ghz, 1.2 Ghz and so on then convert to hz then use
              sudo cpupower frequency-set -f [frequency_step]
              An example for 1.6 Ghz: sudo cpupower frequency-set -f 1600000
              An example for 800 Mhz: sudo cpupower frequency-set -f 800000
              You can use 'sudo cpupower frequency-info' to verify frequency. And you MUST be using the userspace governor
              to manually set frequencies.
              >>source : https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...quency_Scaling

In buntu's/Mint_Linux you can install the cpufreq indicator and you have a GUI interface to set the modes or frequency.
              sudo apt-get install indicator-cpufreq
              >>source : http://www.hecticgeek.com/2012/10/us...-tasks-ubuntu/

I also use the coolbits overclock option for the nvidia-blob to easily overclock my gpu. I recommend it if your screen is stuttering under game play or HD videos, but make sure your gpu stay's under 67 +/- 2 CELSIUS(~152.6) or you can damage the card and/or motherboard. Voids most warranties. Giving your computer some rest every once in a while helps too.
              >>source : https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...g_overclocking

I love using 'gkrellm' in any Linux system. It sticks out in my themes, but I can make it show the temperatures from the sensors on my computer, see bandwidth usage, power levels, cpu usage, mem usage, read/write levels, and a lot more in one panel. I use it in panel mode so I can leisurely look to the right of the screen any time and check temp levels and cpu usage. PS: gkrellm has it own themes you can add and many plugins.

to install
              buntu's/Mint_Linux: sudo apt-get install gkrellm
              Arch: sudo pacman -S gkrellm

Comment

too much nerd

Originally posted by brosis View Post
                Glxgears is to see if your OpenGL is working, nothing else! What its developers forgot is to put large "Glxgears is NOT a benchmark" as background...!

If you want glxgears that IS benchmark, that would be Jgears.
                You have to be the first person ever to have a problem with glxgears.

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
                  so it seems ondemand is not doing a great job and should be revised[maybe android interactive governor could be ported back to linux]
                  It is not the governor's fault when the various distributions use it as their default or when people use it incorrectly or simply do not know about it. Just tweak it or use the performance governor. Ondemand saves a lot of power for most CPUs and its use as the default governor has helped to save electricity all around the world, and thanks to Linux.
                  Last edited by sdack; 01 June 2013, 02:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
                    It is not the governor's fault when the various distributions use it as the default. Ondemand is great. It saves a lot of power. Choose the performance governor if energy efficiency is not what you want. The distros should probably offer a tool to tweak its setting for different environments. I.e. a laptop and a desktop profile, or a slider for the threshold percentage. This would probably make a lot of people instantly happy.
                    The governor is called OnDemand, not OnGreen. It's supposed to dynamically scale your CPU to match the workload instead of leaving it on performance all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
                      The governor is called OnDemand, not OnGreen. It's supposed to dynamically scale your CPU to match the workload instead of leaving it on performance all the time.
                      No, this is what you think it should do, but it is not its intention. It throttles the CPU. What you want is the performance governor and simply leave the rest to the idle routine. Your CPU should still be able to enter the C1E state with or without the help of the ondemand governor! The ondemand governor actively saves energy by lowering the CPU frequency even when there is load. It ignores part of the CPU load deliberately.

Do not use the ondemand governor or learn to tweak it. It has got tunable parameters for a good reason. You could patch some of the existing power management tools to include buttons and sliders for these.

Comment

Working...
                      X