No announcement yet.

Steam Linux Usage Still On The Decline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In other news, according to StatCounter, Linux has been going up pretty steadily ever since Windows 8 got released. And Windows XP is plummeting quite rapidly now; it may become near extinct in two years or less, if the rate doesn't slow down.

Comment

I've been playing Crusader Kings 2 with great success on arch these last few days. I think the main problem is that new titles aren't being released so often on Linux, and also that there are almost no Linux exclusive games. But I think that having the possibility of gaming on Linux is really positive for the adoption of Linux on home machines.

Comment

I, myself, am waiting for a bunch of Linux titles I've helped at Kickstarter - Steam can't expect explosive Linux game usage, when there are no new titles introduced.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
          In other news, according to StatCounter, Linux has been going up pretty steadily ever since Windows 8 got released. And Windows XP is plummeting quite rapidly now; it may become near extinct in two years or less, if the rate doesn't slow down.
          That's a pretty amazing read of that chart. What I see is Linux hanging on in the 1% area and Windows 8 growing at a much faster rate than Linux. And the XP downtick was offset by an equal uptick in Windows 7.

Linux is basically going nowhere.

And here's my gaming experience on Ubuntu:

- tearing
          - crappy performance
          - tearing
          - more tearing
          - accidentally hit Alt, HUD comes up and I can't get back to my game
          - compiz crashed, would you like to send a bug report?

For that matter I can't even use XBMC on the system anymore. If anybody thinks somebody is going to leave the comfort of Windows 7 for this garbage they're very naive.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
            AMD's drivers still have huge problems
            Thats what is making me choose to TF2 under Windows instead of Linux ATM, just cant get a reasonable FPS out of my 67xx.

If people buy newer more power graphics cards the drivers arent ready yet, if they stay with an older card then it isnt powerful enough for modern games. There is a delicate balance somewhere in the middle, it is hard to find though.

Wish AMD would get the open source drivers to the same standard as the proprietary ones so they can then focus on 100% on open drivers for an open platform, half way is too far.

Comment

I consider myself a gamer.

I have build my current pc to be able to play Aliens vs Predator ( 3 )
              phenom II X4 hd 5750. ( D11 card )

Also a Linux fan, that why my pc has two hard disk, of equal size, one for Linux one for windows 7 ( two 500gig )

Years ago I tried to get rit of windows, but failed.
              Games being the main problem.
              And I do not want to tweak wine for weeks to play a game.

Currently although still very happy about steam to Linux, I am disappointed too.

I had expected some problems, but it takes much longer then I expected for those problems to get fixed.

The biggest problem I have are the amd drivers, for my vid card.

On w7 serous sam 3 runs fine with DirectX.
              On Linux the fps cave in, when more enemies appear on screen.

I found a solution though, on Linux I have lowered the resolution, from 1680 x 1050 to 1280 x 800

I had to tweak kde a little too.
              ( which reminded me of a discussion on this forum, about one of our kde friends. Who asked, why should anybody want to run programs full screen ? )

This and the lag of more big titles is what I think is holding Linux back.

I am optimistic this will get solved though, but not in a few months.

What I did to test. I copied the save games from Linux to windows, and started the game at a point were it became unplayable on Linux ( openSUSE)
              I was totally shocked, unplayable on linux, 100% fluent on directX with same settings.
              Now serious sam is a "heavy"game, but I fear Left for dead 2 to be much lighter.

We really need better Linux drivers, which can compete with D11 on windows.

I know enough die had gamers, who have sli or crossfire ( two graphics cards) who are interested in a few fps.
              They would go to linux if it was faster.
              Because of Valve we know openGL can be faster then Directx, but not with current drivers.
              And although nvidia has the better drives at the moment, they still don't outperform directX as they should.

For those that don't believe openGL should be faster:

OpenGL versus Direct3D on Windows 7

This experience lead to the question: why does an OpenGL version of our game run faster than Direct3D on Windows 7? It appears that it?s not related to multitasking overhead. We have been doing some fairly close analysis and it comes down to a few additional microseconds overhead per batch in Direct3D which does not affect OpenGL on Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                That's a pretty amazing read of that chart. What I see is Linux hanging on in the 1% area and Windows 8 growing at a much faster rate than Linux. And the XP downtick was offset by an equal uptick in Windows 7.

- tearing
                - crappy performance
                - tearing
                - more tearing

For that matter I can't even use XBMC on the system anymore. If anybody thinks somebody is going to leave the comfort of Windows 7 for this garbage they're very naive.
                well isn't these some of the reasons why ubuntu is re-writing everything from scratch?

Unity-next will have no compiz. Performance should increase too. So that's a couple of problems solved right there.

Changing or disabling the HUD key is super easy so am not sure why you didn't look it up:

A number of games, Emacs, and the terminal make extensive use of the Alt key. Can Unity be configured to respect this key, rather than launching the HUD with it?

But I believe is a bug they will fix with full-screen opengl games.

you can also install another DE in your ubuntu install just to game, like xubuntu-desktop

now I don't know what card you have but your best bet when gaming is an Nvidia. But all drivers will eventually improve within this and next year.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                  I think that the decline of XP is due more to EOL concerns than to preference for or appeal of alternatives. XP EOL is less than a year away now.

Comment

I think maybe the biggest part of it is the fact that most games coming out on the Linux platform are casual games and even ports of iPhone and Android games. I've been purchasing everything that comes out just to support the Linux platform and not a lot of the games are compelling enough for me to continue playing after an hour. It really lacks the hardcore gamer market and realistically that is up to the developers. I am really looking forward to Left 4 Dead 2 as I've owned that game for years and it will be nice to play it natively and not through Wine. Finger's crossed for a bigger range down the track.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post

- tearing
                      - crappy performance
                      - tearing
                      - more tearing

I agree and have experienced the same issues, besides XBMC, its always been rock solid for me on linux especially *buntus.
                      For me, I would rather pay the windows tax to have decent drivers, then deal with running a game on linux with much worse performance.
                      Though if I thought donating 80$ to get decent drivers for linux would help a lot, I'd do that. But I just don't think they will ever
                      be up to par.

Comment

Working...
                      X