Steam Linux Usage Still On The Decline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by timothyja View Post
    Just personnal bias you mean. You have not given one example or benchmark to support your claims. You are a straight up troll.
    One simple example of Linux mopping the floor with windows is the filesystem. http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...inux-TAR-files
    12 seconds to uncompress 2000 files on windows vs instantly on Linux.
    Well, i dont need to show any tests to trolls like you. I made them, and i know results, i dont fkin care about the useless opinions of other people like you with useless benchmarks, cause i know the truth, i know, how all os'es performs on MY computers These tests were made by me, so they are right, not like phoronix benchmarks, where unknown guy makes some tests, and then bunch of "pro-linuxers" start to flame about how that guy doesnt know how to make benchmarks, about wrong flags and so on... so, even linux community itself cannot agree on what they are doing, then there is no real worldwide tests, the ony right benchmarks are you own.
    Last edited by startzz; 04 May 2013, 09:58 AM.

Comment

• One thing Valve could do to help Steam on Linux is to get the open source Linux games that people already played before Steam hit Linux on the service. That would draw in more users. The distro repositories are notoriously worthless for downloading games so I can see how people would want to use Steam to automatically have the latest stable builds.

Comment

• Putting open-source games on Steam requires there be someone able to enter a contract for the project. This was recently discussed in STK.

If there is copyright assignment, or one person that owns majority of the copyright, it's possible. Otherwise, no.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post
          One thing Valve could do to help Steam on Linux is to get the open source Linux games that people already played before Steam hit Linux on the service. That would draw in more users. The distro repositories are notoriously worthless for downloading games so I can see how people would want to use Steam to automatically have the latest stable builds.
          Desura. It is a bit buggy, but it already has a bunch of opensource games on distribution.

Comment

• IMHO there is no decline, because the results are not fair...

1. the hardware survey shows up only for a fraction of randomly selected steam users each month (over 5 years there I had it show up ~3 times for me)
            2. steam on windows is by default run at system startup, on Linux not
            3. Valve is only advertising Steam on ubuntu, instead of at least 5-6 major distros

Take only this into account (especially point 2) and it's clear that the hardware survey results are seriously flawed. With millions of windows users it might be statistically correct to select only a random pool to count, but with minorities like with GNU/Linux users it can really affect the outcome.

Hence, I say there is no "decline", it's only that not everybody who installed Steam on GNU is running it and the results are wrong.

Comment

• Another poor quality Phoronix troll

Originally posted by startzz View Post
              Well, i dont need to show any tests to trolls like you. I made them, and i know results, i dont fkin care about the useless opinions of other people like you with useless benchmarks, cause i know the truth, i know, how all os'es performs on MY computers These tests were made by me, so they are right, not like phoronix benchmarks, where unknown guy makes some tests, and then bunch of "pro-linuxers" start to flame about how that guy doesnt know how to make benchmarks, about wrong flags and so on... so, even linux community itself cannot agree on what they are doing, then there is no real worldwide tests, the ony right benchmarks are you own.
              I get it that some people like to troll but at least put some effort in.

These tests were made by me, so they are right
              What tests? The ones you made up in your head.

not like phoronix benchmarks, where unknown guy makes some tests
              Your the only unknown guy making up imaginary tests. Phoronix test might not be perfect but at least they are real and can be shown to be correct or not.

the ony right benchmarks are you own
              No the right benchmarks are real benchmarks not imaginary ones. I guess you tell people those voices you hear in your head are real too because you hear them. Go away clown and come back when you have something intelligent to add to the debate rather than made up facts.

Comment

• Lol what a noob your childhood must have been really hard, doesnt it ?

Comment

• Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
                  HDMI is the easiest way to connect directly to a receiver.
                  But it's still patented crap. DVI/DP for the win.

Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
                  Right, so waste more money + more heat, because we can't be bothered to support the feature.
                  Well yeah, deal with it, that's laptops. Also, a graphics card doesn't get very hot when it's idling.

Good soundcards are competitive with mid-range receivers. Dolby Headphone (which isn't always supported by receivers) is a godsend for headphone users. Theres no comparison to onboard with even a low end soundcard (ASUS Xonar DGX).
                  Stop listening to marketing BS: you can perfectly live without a dedicated sound card, a good integrated sound card ought to be enough for everybody.

Actually, yes. Theres an advantage to living in a place where Cablevision/Verison/Time Warner are having a war to try and get customers. Integrated chokes somewhere past 50Mb/s with multiple downloads going.
                  50Mb/s, not more than 1Gb/s. On top of that your router and cable probably doesn't support 10Gb/s Ethernet.

Comment

• Originally posted by timothyja View Post
                    Another poor quality Phoronix troll
                    It's the same one, actually. We have what, like 4 of those guys around here? Ignore lists work quite well for that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
                      IMHO there is no decline, because the results are not fair...

1. the hardware survey shows up only for a fraction of randomly selected steam users each month (over 5 years there I had it show up ~3 times for me)
                      2. steam on windows is by default run at system startup, on Linux not
                      3. Valve is only advertising Steam on ubuntu, instead of at least 5-6 major distros

Take only this into account (especially point 2) and it's clear that the hardware survey results are seriously flawed. With millions of windows users it might be statistically correct to select only a random pool to count, but with minorities like with GNU/Linux users it can really affect the outcome.

Hence, I say there is no "decline", it's only that not everybody who installed Steam on GNU is running it and the results are wrong.
                      Good points!

Comment

Working...
                      X