Steam Linux Usage Still On The Decline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by storma View Post
    You are right on that point. That's why Steam only runs on Ubuntu as it's the only distro they support. I hope other distro's will get support soon, I'm dying to give it a go.
    It's running fine with other distros too.
    From my own experience I can say that in openSUSE you just have to add the Games-Repository ( http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/games/ ), run 'zypper in steam' and start it.
    I'm pretty sure it's also easily doable in Arch and Fedora.

Have a look at this:
    Last edited by droste; 07 May 2013, 11:37 AM.

Comment

• I do not agree only Ubuntu is supported.

I have posted on the github, and do get help, and they do fix things not ubuntu related.

OpenSUSE and Arch had a problem with the sound.

You needed to start steam with a command to have sound in some games.
      Valve has changed something, and as far as I know, the sound issue on openSUSE and Arch are gone.

If one of my openSUSE friends is right, it was about ubuntu calling it pulse, were openSUSE and Arch call it pulseaudio.

Next, links to download steam for a few distro's
      Native Steam on Linux

1.1 Unpackaged
      1.2 Arch Linux
      1.3 Fedora
      1.4 Gentoo
      1.5 openSUSE / SUSE
      1.6 Ubuntu

I have yet to see the first issue reported on the github, were Valve said, too bad its not working, use Ubuntu to solve it.

Valve Software has 52 repositories available. Follow their code on GitHub.

I have on openSUSE running and working Serious Sam 3 ( not from Valve ) Half life, half life blue shift, half life opposing force. Teamfortress classic, Teamfortress 2, Portal, Left for Dead 2, richocet, day of defeat, dead match classic, counterstrike.

The only real issues I have, are related to the amd drivers.
      According to Valve it took them so long to release Left For Dead 2 because the drivers from nvidia and amd were not yet good enough.

I doubt this comes as a surprise to most Linux users.
      But that is probably the main reason why I am so happy that steam came to Linux.
      Before steam for Linux, amd and nvidia did not really care about their Linux drivers.
      Last edited by Gps4l; 07 May 2013, 11:50 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
        Linux is a tool, Windows is a tool, Mac... IOS... Andriod, all tools. Windows on desktop is like a Phillips head, pretty much everywhere, Mac is the slot screwdriver still has support in a lot of places. Linux is the Torx screwdriver/head, used on serious jobs where others are inferior, not as common in houses but in commercial applications. So I want to game on my Torx, what of it? Are you that friggen petty you spend your days trying to make up for the insanely small size of your penis with my OS is better than yours bullshit?

It's okay to point out faults, in places where one could hope to fix them. I could spit fire about how shitty Windows is all day, I won't because I got things to do and what good would it do?
        I could do it too, especially with windows 8 targeting more mobile market than computers But how saying, that linux will never be popular, or that it will never be good for games, or that it will always have too much bugs and bad components to be used in simple desktop pc, is spitting fire ? Is this topic a weak point of all linux fans, that they dont know what to say, and then they become mad-cows and start spitting fire on person ?

Just look, linux is even developed by trolls Of course, if you remember that news, that was posted on phoronix long time ago.
        Last edited by startzz; 07 May 2013, 12:59 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by startzz View Post
          Exactly, good job that you admited your level of "big" knowledge With that linux motto in mind, there is no questions about why linux is used only by trolls

I admitted nothing it's your motto. So no Linux is used by who ever wants to use it. Thats the great thing about freedom. Phoronix however is used by trolls such as yourself if you dont like linux the just leave us in peace and go to a windows forum.

Comment

I could do it too, especially with windows 8 targeting more mobile market than computers But how saying, that linux will never be popular, or that it will never be good for games, or that it will always have too much bugs and bad components to be used in simple desktop pc, is spitting fire ? Is this topic a weak point of all linux fans, that they dont know what to say, and then they become mad-cows and start spitting fire on person ?

Just look, linux is even developed by trolls Of course, if you remember that news, that was posted on phoronix long time ago.

I want you to remember that I am not dissing Windows for grins and giggles, I have developed on it for years. Poorly wrote software is platform agnostic and trust me, there are many examples on Windows as well.

Linux is popular. Just not the most popular desktop OS. 20+Million users on the desktop still isn't anything to sneeze at. Not to mention servers,supers and phones.

Uhh... CS:S and L4D2 play pretty well here, I think it is "good" at games. However you're probably referencing the lack of native games which is a bit disappointing but is looking better everyday.

I outgrew windows, it's a wading pool.

Comment

• Well ...

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              Phoronix: Steam Linux Usage Still On The Decline

With Valve's very well known "Steam Hardware Survey", after showing some promising Linux statistics at first, last month indicated that the Linux adoption of the game distribution software was stagnate or on the decline. The April figures for the Steam hardware survey are now public and they indicate further losses for Linux gamers...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM2Mjg
              ... it's becoming warm and green outside - at last. Who wants to sit down and play now?!

Comment

But hey, this is the most stupid thing i've ever heard isnt linux motto "do yourself" ? And why no one of you "great-linux-minds-trollers" dont write drivers yourself, isnt open-source thing wasted with that atitude ?
                No it isn't. "Do yourself" means nothing by the way.

Originally posted by startzz View Post
                And by the way, even if you install i.e. graphics drivers from vendor, its most likely something will broke... Not to mention how hard it is to install those drivers, the process is just absurd even for linux.
                It's very easy to install them on *buntus, just go to Software Sources > Additional Drivers.

Comment

• Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
                  I want you to remember that I am not dissing Windows for grins and giggles, I have developed on it for years. Poorly wrote software is platform agnostic and trust me, there are many examples on Windows as well.

Linux is popular. Just not the most popular desktop OS. 20+Million users on the desktop still isn't anything to sneeze at. Not to mention servers,supers and phones.

Uhh... CS:S and L4D2 play pretty well here, I think it is "good" at games. However you're probably referencing the lack of native games which is a bit disappointing but is looking better everyday.

I outgrew windows, it's a wading pool.
                  Wow, what a luck valve trew 2 old bones for you

Comment

Wow, what a luck valve trew 2 old bones for you
                    And with a few more today from doublefine I'm one happy puppy.

Comment

• Re the original story:

Good! I do not like Steam one bit. Holds all your games hostage, cant give them to a friend or trade them, forces massive downloads just to play an offline game for the first time, buggy, tracks all your gaming activity. Spread the word to the Windows people...

Comment

Working...
                      X