Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unigine Adds In Support For Oculus Rift & WebGL

Phoronix: Unigine Adds In Support For Oculus Rift & WebGL

Unigine Corp has made another round of noteworthy updates to their visually amazing cross-platform game and simulation engine...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Unigine is awesome. I can't wait to get my license and start working with it. They are a great company to work with.

Comment

Originally posted by migizi View Post
      Unigine is awesome. I can't wait to get my license and start working with it. They are a great company to work with.
      Paying for a game engine? If you're making a game, you're capable of coding, so why not base your game off an engine like Red Eclipse's (improved Cube 2) or Xonotic's? Both of them are very capable and can look/sound nice if you have good art.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
        Paying for a game engine? If you're making a game, you're capable of coding, so why not base your game off an engine like Red Eclipse's (improved Cube 2) or Xonotic's? Both of them are very capable and can look/sound nice if you have good art.
        Xonotic and Red Eclipse's may be capable, but at least Xonotic's architecture is based off an older style. Unigine gives you an SDK, automatic OpenGL 4 and DirectX11 targets, paid (aka, mandatory) support, fully cross platform, 3D support, OpenAL audio support so you dont have to worry about crossplatform issues for audio, among tons of other technological advantages.

If you need a more 'stock' engine for a hobby game or something youre doing jsut for fun / as a first timer, Xonotic or IDTech 2 / 3 / 4 (Was Doom3 idTech 3 or 4?) engine is more than enough. But if you are serious about making a tier 1 game or at least a tier-1-capable game... Unigine is not a bad choice.
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
          Sure I could build my own engine. Do I want to, not really. I want to get my game out to market as soon as possible. Building my own engine with my team size would at least add another year on to my development schedule. Why reinvent the wheel? If you're against anyone paying for an engine you have a lot of work to do. The fact that so many commercial engines are out for sale tells you there is demand.

I want my team focused on delivering the game play we want and not worrying about how to write the underlying framework. I'm also going cross platform and I don't want to worry about the nuances between the desktop and mobile OS.

Comment

@Ericg

You're implying both that Xonotic (and in fact every current open engine) doesn't provide OpenAL, and that ID games were not tier-1.

Comment

Working...
            X