Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sabayon 13.04 Readies Systemd, UEFI, TMPFS

Phoronix: Sabayon 13.04 Readies Systemd, UEFI, TMPFS

Sabayon Linux, the popular Gentoo-derived Linux distribution, is ending out April by releasing Sabayon 13.04...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Linux From Scratch ?!

Am I the only person who actually found doing a Linux From Scratch install easier than Gentoo and Co. ?! I literally went through over a dozen Gentoo install attempts (and a couple Sabayons), and yet never really succeeded ending up with a production machine. With LFS I at least ended up having a tiny print server, but with Gentoo I just never amounted to anything.

Still, I'll most likely still give this one a go once it's released
    Last edited by c117152; 30 April 2013, 09:50 PM. Reason: like -> likely typo

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
      Am I the only person who actually found doing a Linux From Scratch install easier than Gentoo and Co. ?! I literally went through over a dozen Gentoo install attempts (and a couple Sabayons), and yet never really succeeded ending up with a production machine. With LFS I at least ended up having a tiny print server, but with Gentoo I just never amounted to anything.

Still, I'll most likely still give this one a go once it's released
      Sabayon you shouldnt have had any problems with o.O Its a standard GUI installer.

Gentoo vs LFS is a bit of a better comparison however, and more valid.
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Am I the only person who actually found doing a Linux From Scratch install easier than Gentoo and Co. ?! ...
        LFS is definitely a great experience, however, maintenance is a greater burden than Gentoo. I've been through a 20 or so Gentoo installs and it's not so bad, especially lately. Some of the big hurdles are configuring your kernel (include your FS support), set up a proper fstab (now somewhat easier) and finally a flawless GRUB install. Gentoo is not so much about speed, rather about Portage - a great, configurable package manager. Powerful, but a rather steep learning curve.

But, hey, there are many fine distro's around. Arch is a nice, no BS, rolling distro.

Comment

I've done quite a few (maybe a dozen or so) Gentoo installs. And no, I've never used one for any length of time. Configuring Grub has presented problems a few times. Getting a GUI has caused problems other times. Occasionally wireless has been the stumbling block.

I'm probably in a position now where my knowledge is sufficient so I could overcome all of these problems and I could get a system up-and-running. But I've decided I really can't be bothered now. The USE flags thing seems like a good idea in theory, but I've never found it to be anything other than a major hassle, especially when installing big meta-packages (X, KDE etc.).

In the meantime, I've used Arch quite happily for a while now, and I've gotten quite used to how it works, and I've inadvertently become quite an Arch fan having it on three machines now (fileserver, desktop gaming and netbook).

Having said that, no, I don't think LFS is easier than Gentoo, that's quite a stretch

Comment

Well, at least they moved over to git. Anybody not using git has either financial interest to be doing so, or is a bit slow.

Comment

WAT. We are using git since 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                Sabayon you shouldnt have had any problems with o.O Its a standard GUI installer.

Gentoo vs LFS is a bit of a better comparison however, and more valid.
                Actually since I'm using a laptop to read the documents while I'm installing the PC, both Sabayon and Gentto feel about the same.
                Note that my usual work environment is tmux and vim and half the time I'm SSHing to either a remote machine or an embedded device so there's no reason I should find the former more problematic than the latter.

Regarding the other comments, I feel a consensus is brewing around the set-up process taking multiple (dozenish, it seems...) tries. And, the resulting system is more manageable than LFS. An ease-of-maintenance vs. ease-of-manufacturing i suppose ?! Anyhow, if that's how it goes than I suppose I should really give it another try when I'll have the time. Maybe this time I'll use Sabayon's generic kernel at first :P

Comment

Actually since I'm using a laptop to read the documents while I'm installing the PC, both Sabayon and Gentto feel about the same.
                  Note that my usual work environment is tmux and vim and half the time I'm SSHing to either a remote machine or an embedded device so there's no reason I should find the former more problematic than the latter.

Regarding the other comments, I feel a consensus is brewing around the set-up process taking multiple (dozenish, it seems...) tries. And, the resulting system is more manageable than LFS. An ease-of-maintenance vs. ease-of-manufacturing i suppose ?! Anyhow, if that's how it goes than I suppose I should really give it another try when I'll have the time. Maybe this time I'll use Sabayon's generic kernel at first :P
                  If the initial working Gentoo teaches people anything, it's that they need to read more carefully :P. The kernel is the most annoying part for me -- and in that case it could be best to use genkernel and worry about it later.

Comment

Working...
                  X