Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland 1.2 Release Planned For June, XWayland

Phoronix: Wayland 1.2 Release Planned For June, XWayland

An extensive list of plans for the Wayland/Weston 1.2 release were shared by the project's founder, Kristian H?gsberg...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

As soon as I have the slightest excuse to run my daily tasks on Wayland, I'm going to find a way to make it work. I'm just way too excited to ditch X11, and I'm happy with all the planning and rigor involved in Wayland's development. They've covered so many bases and made the transition path so available to everyone- it's kind of too good to be true. Supporting X11 applications, mobile devices, and a plan for more efficient remote display are all good reasons to take Wayland seriously. I can't wait until a DE comes along to show people how ready it is.

Comment

Originally posted by scionicspectre View Post
      As soon as I have the slightest excuse to run my daily tasks on Wayland, I'm going to find a way to make it work. I'm just way too excited to ditch X11, and I'm happy with all the planning and rigor involved in Wayland's development. They've covered so many bases and made the transition path so available to everyone- it's kind of too good to be true. Supporting X11 applications, mobile devices, and a plan for more efficient remote display are all good reasons to take Wayland seriously. I can't wait until a DE comes along to show people how ready it is.
      The first one will probably be E18, which is set to release next year as an incremental update. Check the Enlightenment site for a blog update on Wayland support, its already running. Not sure if its hit public git yet though. After that, KDE will come next after the move to Qt5 and they start to leverage QWayland. Gnome will happen whenever they get around to it, I'd imagine GTK is a little more X-specific in some areas since it was meant as the GPL-OS toolkit
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Quarterly is every three months.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
          The first one will probably be E18, which is set to release next year as an incremental update. [?] I'd imagine GTK is a little more X-specific in some areas since it was meant as the GPL-OS toolkit
          AFAIR GNOME 3.12 is planned to work halfway on Wayland, meaning: Shell is an Compositor, as Weston, and at least some applications can be compiled as native clients, the rest is launched transparently via XWayland. There is somewhere a roadmap in the gnome wiki.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
            AFAIR GNOME 3.12 is planned to work halfway on Wayland, ... There is somewhere a roadmap in the gnome wiki.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
              The first one will probably be E18, which is set to release next year as an incremental update. Check the Enlightenment site for a blog update on Wayland support, its already running. Not sure if its hit public git yet though. After that, KDE will come next after the move to Qt5 and they start to leverage QWayland. Gnome will happen whenever they get around to it, I'd imagine GTK is a little more X-specific in some areas since it was meant as the GPL-OS toolkit

Wayland clients DO NOT:

Minimize (not implemented in Wayland protocol)
              Fullscreen (un-fullscreening not implemented, so this was disabled to prevent complaining)
              Use EGL when rendering (wait a couple days)

It’s been a while since I’ve written a real blog post, so I’m going to do a bit of a roundup here. Brace yourselves. WAYLAND STATUS: Thanks to the work of Chris “devilhorns&…

Since 1.2 doesn't include miniimize i assume that WL with E will be fully functional at the next (1.3) release. We still lack a proper browser though.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                [...] We still lack a proper browser though.
                Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

By proper i mean Firefox

Comment

- While mentioned previously, with future Wayland releases they will never break the protocol or client-side API. For now the wayland-server API isn't for sure stable but that's less of an impact.
                    Or you could do the api so the first thing it asks is a version of the protocol.
                    And then how to agree on what version to use.

Then you can break it without causing insurmountable problems.

Comment

Working...
                    X