Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Optimizes Bitcoin Mining On R600 LLVM OpenCL

Phoronix: AMD Optimizes Bitcoin Mining On R600 LLVM OpenCL

Earlier this month I wrote about Bitcoin Mining coming to the open-source Radeon Linux GPU driver. In the weeks since, Tom Stellard of AMD has made more improvements to the AMD R600 LLVM back-end that benefit the performance of Bitcoin mining...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: AMD Optimizes Bitcoin Mining On R600 LLVM OpenCL

Earlier this month I wrote about Bitcoin Mining coming to the open-source Radeon Linux GPU driver. In the weeks since, Tom Stellard of AMD has made more improvements to the AMD R600 LLVM back-end that benefit the performance of Bitcoin mining...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM2MTE
    Good for OpenCL progress, but fuck bitcoin and the idiots that think it's anything but a pyramid scheme to get morons to trade real money with actual value for virtual currency.

If you back bitcoin you are doing the same as those that buy the fake currency in Free2Play games.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
      Good for OpenCL progress, but fuck bitcoin and the idiots that think it's anything but a pyramid scheme to get morons to trade real money with actual value for virtual currency.

If you back bitcoin you are doing the same as those that buy the fake currency in Free2Play games.
      Everything has the value the majority perceives. Money is only paper after all. As an anonymous way of exchanging/buying stuff etc i don't think bitcoins are bad. Trying to get rich from it no way. Anyway.

Is this supposed to be a better -real world- test for the OpenCL implementation??

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post

COnsidering most countries are OFF the gold standard... no currency has any real value. Its not really backed by anything. Bitcoin is just as legitimate as any other currency, more so than some to an extent because there's a finite amount in circulation at any given time. People decide if anything has value, if people decide something has value, then it has value.

Its a variation of the Thomas Theorem for Sociology: "If men define situations as real, they are real in their consequences."
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
          COnsidering most countries are OFF the gold standard... no currency has any real value. Its not really backed by anything. Bitcoin is just as legitimate as any other currency, more so than some to an extent because there's a finite amount in circulation at any given time. People decide if anything has value, if people decide something has value, then it has value.

Its a variation of the Thomas Theorem for Sociology: "If men define situations as real, they are real in their consequences."
          I wonder how much CO2 is generated by each bit coin on average.

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
            I wonder how much CO2 is generated by each bit coin on average.
            I wonder how much CO2 is generated everytime we (the US) prints off another sheet of $100's. Honestly though, assuming you mean "how much extra CO2 are all of those people continually mining bitcoins creating?" The answer probably isn't a lot, in like the grand scheme of things.
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
              I wonder how much CO2 is generated everytime we (the US) prints off another sheet of $100's. Honestly though, assuming you mean "how much extra CO2 are all of those people continually mining bitcoins creating?" The answer probably isn't a lot, in like the grand scheme of things.
              For that matter, I wonder how many millions of dollars in copper we have floating around in pennies, lost in peoples' washing machines, down drains, under counters and who knows where else. (have you watched the dirty jobs episode where he cleans change...forget from where. maybe street cleaners or something; I'd have to watch it again. That's a lot of "wasted" energy there, to be honest)

Comment

Whether you like it or not, Bitcoin is important to a lot of people for various reasons.

Of course also for AMD, as it has created significant demand for their high-end cards. There was a time when 6990 cards were really difficult to buy because the Bitcoin community snatched all of them as soon as they hit retail.

Comment

Somehow it feels that Con Kolivas is disliked by some guys, or why else would you talk about bfgminer, a fork of Koliva's cgminer that mainly just merges in his patches as he keeps on developing?

Also the whole situation of BFS not being in-kernel. Many tests show BFS to have superior performance to CFS in some workloads and anyone can agree the complexity is an order of magnitude smaller.

What has he done to be closed out like this?
                  Last edited by varikonniemi; 30 April 2013, 03:55 AM.

Comment

It might not be that he is being closed out, perhaps the people behind bfgminer are more proactive about talking to external developers/community engagement.

Comment

Working...
                    X