Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by YAFU View Post
    Good news.
    But I recommend not to buy products from Logitech or any other brand that does not officially support GNU/Linux.
    Same here. Logitech products are also overpriced for the build/component quality.

Comment

In most stores around here, you go buy a mouse or keyboard, you'll have exactly two choices: Logitech or Microsoft. So I guess this is good news...

Comment

Originally posted by Bucic View Post
        Same here. Logitech products are also overpriced for the build/component quality.
        That I have to agree. Yesterday I was out shopping for a replacement keyboard + mouse after having accidentally dumped a whole pitcher of water over my existing hardware and spent some time comparing between a Logitech wireless combo package and a Microsoft wireless combo package. (it did not kill the keyboard but I just wanted to have an excuse to get a new keyboard...)

The Microsoft set had a bigger keyboard with higher keys that provided much better 'squishiness' than the Logitech and its mouse was both larger and had a higher curvature than the tiny mouse offered by the Logitech package. And the Microsoft set cost only about $4 - 5 more than the Logitech set. Twas a no brainer; picked the Microsoft set without any further hesitation.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
          picked the Microsoft set without any further hesitation.
          I would never buy anything from Microsoft. Supporting a company ran by the modern equivalent of nazis is not something my conscience could abide with. But I guess some people just aren't very ethical...

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
            I would never buy anything from Microsoft. Supporting a company ran by the modern equivalent of nazis is not something my conscience could abide with. But I guess some people just aren't very ethical...
            Spare me your moral high ground. If you are so ethical and upright, throw away all your electronic devices because all of them are using patent encumbered technology in some way and most of them are made in China by workers who live below poverty level and get paid peanuts. Go live the life of a hermit in the mountains in isolation with nothing but the clothes on your back and no electricitry. I dare you.

If Microsoft are nazis than you are a terrorist and everyone's public enemy no.1.

Comment

The problem with the majority of brands other than logitech is that they seem to target the gamer/neon looks cool crowd. And that spoils it for me.

I find aesthetics important.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucic View Post
                +1 to that. In the past (meaning in the 1990's), Logitech products I bought were awesome. I remember my Logitech MouseMan lasting 6 years. Well, more than that, because I replaced it for an optical mouse simply because I didn't want to use a rubber ball mouse anymore. But it never broke actually.

Today, every Logitech thing I bought broke too soon. First, a Logitech headset. After only 6 months or so, the sound volume slider became useless. Soon after, the right headphone gave up. Finally, before the year ended, the microphone broke off.

Second was a Logitech desktop microphone. Again, 6 months after, the microphone wouldn't stay up anymore. I had to tape it to stay it place.

Third, some buttons of the G400 mouse I bought started to double-click on their own even though I only click once, and the mouse wheel makes awful noises now.

Never again Logitech. They now put out overpriced junk, only relying on the good name they've built in decades past, and which they don't deserve anymore.

Comment

In most stores around here, you go buy a mouse or keyboard, you'll have exactly two choices: Logitech or Microsoft. So I guess this is good news...
                  If anyone is looking for a good Linux keyboard take a look at http://zareason.com/shop/Lighted-Tux-Keyboard.html it even has a tux key rather than a windows key.

Comment

Microsoft IMO make really great hardware, I really love their natural series of keyboards and their explorer series of mice are fantastic. I currently use a Logitech mouse and only a couple of months after buying it the soft rubber bits started to peel off. When this mouse dies or I tire of it I will happily go back to a Microsoft mouse.

Comment

Hmm, I am quite satisfied with the quality of both the M525 mouse and the expensive K800 keyboard. The battery that came with the M525 is still full (I bought it about a year ago). I can't really speak for their headsets. I had a low-priced/quality headset that did not last a few months. (same experience with Trust though, their products are even worse in my experience).

My experience with Logitech is quite good, they had engineers creating the hid-logitech-dj driver and published some specifications that eases the creation of a Unifying program. Not everything is documented, but their HID++ protocol is trivial to understand. If you own a Unifying device and want to enable more functions that do not exist in Solaar/ltunify yet, consider reverse engineering it yourself. It is not that hard once you have a VM with USB passthrough and understand the structure of the HID++ messages.

In my article I have only documented HID++ 1.0, but with help of the HID++ 2.0 specification it should not be that hard to figure out things.

I do not have any shares in the Logitech company, I just do not have the bad experiences that others experience. Perhaps because the keyboard was very expensive and the mouse is a simple one that does not have fancy programmable buttons.

Comment

Working...
                      X