Thread: The Good & Bad Of Btrfs In A Production World

Hybrid View

Default The Good & Bad Of Btrfs In A Production World

Phoronix: The Good & Bad Of Btrfs In A Production World

A web hosting company has publicly shared their thoughts on the Btrfs file-system for Linux. While often discussed as the next-generation Linux file-system, Btrfs isn't fully baked for use in a production world quite yet...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM1OTY

Default What kernel and btrfs-progs?

With btrfs in active development, you need to be running a leading edge (right now, 3.9.0-rc8) kernel, or patch with the latest btrfs-next and btrfs-progs. A number of the problems they report sound familiar, and have no doubt already been corrected.

Hats off to Anchor for this report!!

I like the little note they make in their summary...

btrfs has actually detected single-bit corruption in an underlying hardware RAID volume – that’s a win for data integrity!
    Single-bit corruption is, needless to say, awesome and good job to the btrfs devs for having the capabilities to detect it. Im a very happy btrfs user (home server)

Default Needs a second look

They didn't care to see if the bugs were fixed already?
    And their solution for hung snapshot tasks was to revert to a filesystem without snapshots?

My favorite benefit is LZO compression If LZO was forced by default, I think BTRFS would be the default in more places by now as these tests would see great performance & smaller disk usage.

Quote Originally Posted by snadrus View Post
    They didn't care to see if the bugs were fixed already?
    And their solution for hung snapshot tasks was to revert to a filesystem without snapshots?

My favorite benefit is LZO compression If LZO was forced by default, I think BTRFS would be the default in more places by now as these tests would see great performance & smaller disk usage.
    what happened to lz4? lz4 should be even better.