Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left 4 Dead 2 Beta On Linux Coming Next Week

Phoronix: Left 4 Dead 2 Beta On Linux Coming Next Week

Left 4 Dead 2 is going to be released as beta next week on Linux by Valve!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Now we are talking, get left 4 dead 2 on ubuntu and global offensive and I'll be extremely happy. Modern games for once.

Comment

Really cool that they are doing this, too bad it is only the beta version for now. I own this, but I think I will pass on it until they get the proper version out. I made the mistake of installing the beta version of TF2 and later had to download the regular version. That is the last time I download a 10+ GB game twice.

Comment

I am looking forward to play the Portal series (still new to me), so I hope that Valve will release those for Linux.

Comment

am I correct in the assumption that L4D2 is to KillingFloor what Dota2 is to HoN? (a dumbed and slowed down version with comic like graphic style?)

Comment

hmmm they're different

in killing floor the purpose is to survive wave after wave of zombs and then kill the fleshpound and finish that map.

in left4dead the purpose is to get from point A to B then C then D and escape

in left 4 dead there are less zombs but they're harder to kill.

killing floor makes it more satisfying to kill zombs with headshots and exploding bodies etc...

killing floor the weapons are better and you can aim, in l4d is pretty much shoot whatever it pretty much works the same
            Last edited by Pallidus; 26 April 2013, 03:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
              am I correct in the assumption that L4D2 is to KillingFloor what Dota2 is to HoN? (a dumbed and slowed down version with comic like graphic style?)
              Are you sure you're not confusing Dota2 with LoL?

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
                The playstyle of L4D2 is completely different from Killing Floor. You can't really compare them just because you shoot zombie-like creatures in both games.

The only thing I can say is that Left 4 Dead 2 is much, much faster than Killing Floor, simply because you run through levels in order to survive - you're always in some kind of rush.

Also: DOTA 2 next maybe? I'd love to see it before The International 3, but that's wishful thinking I guess ...

Comment

I really like to see L4D2 on Linux. I did not expect that it would take so long however. Most likely they have been busy converting TF2 to steampipe, you can select that in the BETA tab now for TF2, it takes a while to convert. If you wait till may it will be converted anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                    I really like to see L4D2 on Linux. I did not expect that it would take so long however. Most likely they have been busy converting TF2 to steampipe, you can select that in the BETA tab now for TF2, it takes a while to convert. If you wait till may it will be converted anyway.
                    SteamPipe conversion (aka faster load times) for TF2 is now scheduled for April, 30th.

Comment

Working...
                    X